Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sweet Summertime

One of the many reasons I love living in Chicago is that we get all four seasons. Watching the trees change in the fall, playing in the snow in the winter, listening to storms in the spring..and sweet summertime. Nothing beats summer in Chicago. Nothing.


There are so many fun events coming up, I can barely contain my excitement. We always kick off our summer at the cottage and this year is no different. My sisters birthday is Saturday and my brothers is Sunday. We eat good food, hang at the beach, go on the boat, relax, drink, celebrate and enjoy every minute. This year, we will head home for the holiday and go to a local parade. 

June is booked to the max. I do a good job of balancing weekends at the cottage and back home. My nephew turns 13 in 2 weeks so thatll be a cottage weekend. We will also go up to celebrate the 4th, which will be the last weekend in June this year. The rest of the month is busy with birthday parties, baby showers and summer fun.

Julys main event is Country Thunder, which is toward the end of the month. Its like Christmas in July. This year, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan are performing on Friday night and its what I am looking forward to most! We will bring the boys during the day, decked in boots and hats. Our cottage is minutes away, so we will put the boys to bed and head back out for the late concerts. My niece turns 1 in July, so there will be a big bash for that. 

In August, we will travel down to Atlanta for the trio's first birthday. We are really looking forward to that trip! Minus the 13 hour drive. We will hang with the kids the first day, which Evan and Stephen work. Saturday is the party and Sunday we will have the whole family to ourselves! Were trying to decide on going to the zoo, museum or Six Flags. We aren't sure how we will head home..if we will drive thru the night again, stop halfway thru or extend the vacation by a day and stay in Tennessee. We are buying tix to a Day out with Thomas, which is also in August. We always wrap up the summer at the cottage for Labor Day weekend.

If summer weather continues through September, as it has the past few years, we will be able to use the boat a bit longer. My parents 35th wedding anniversary is Sept. 11 and I think we are going to put something together for them. We have tix to Disney on Ice and I have signed up for two 5K's! I'm super excited!

Along with all of these major plans, I have a summer bucket list of fun things to do/ places we want to go. I wonder how much we can get done. :0)

~Go to Raging Waves waterpark-groupon bought
~Spend a day at Navy Pier, see the fireworks
~Use Shedd Pass once more before it expires
~See the new bug exhibit at the zoo
~Go on a carriage ride downtown-groupon bought
~Visit the drive in movie theater
~Go hiking at Starved Rock
~Take the boys to a Kane County Cougars game
~Have dinner at RPM Italian downtown(anyone know whos restaurant that is?)
~Spend a day at Centennial Beach
~Take Trevor on a train ride downtown
~Register me and Trevor for summer reading program
~Drive down to Bloomington and go to the childrens museum/take Jamie to lunch
~Go on the ice cream social ride at Lake Geneva-groupon bought

Thats a good start! Our town and the one next to us have "crusin' nights" where old cars line up and people walk the downtown area to see. Shops stay open late, there is food and music, its a fun way to spend your Thursday or Friday evening. We are two blocks from downtown and looking forward to walking over.

I have a feeling summer of 2012 will be the best yet!

What do you have planned this summer? Any big trips? Special occasions? Trips to Chicago? ;)

Have a fun and safe weekend!!!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

You have lots of fun things planned! So fun!

Shannon said...

So jealous of your fun summer! I love Chicago - and also the R in RPM ;) I live in Alabama and we love to make the trip to Chi. Hoping to go in late July this year.

Amber said...

LOVE your list for summer! We have a few of the same things on there as well.

You'll definitely have to let me know when you come to Bloomington so we can meet up!

Carly said...

your summer sounds so amazing!! You always seem to have fantastic trips during the summer, especially where the cabin is involved. I am jealous! This summer for us will just be about moving into our new place, new job for me and of course some baby making! Think we'll try sneak in a little week away somewhere for a beach trip too though!

Kalle said...

What a great summer list. :) Sounds like a full and fabulous summer. I'd love to visit Chicago one day (I'm in Canada) but this summer I'll be taken my step daughter to New York for a girls week. And just hanging with the kids at home

Holly said...

We are going to a day out with Thomas as well! I can't wait to take the boys since they have gotten so much into choo-choo's over the last year!

Shawna said...

I love Chicago, it is a fabulous city, only 4 hour drive for me. In fact, I was just up there first part of March. I wanted to eat at RPM but didnt make it. I am obsessed with Giuliana & Bill and watch their show every week.
Hope you have a great summer

Bren said...

I am dying to go to Chicago! Looks like you all are going to have a great time.

Now that you mention Evan you totally need to do an update post on her and her new baby! I have been wondering what she had and how everything went for her.

Juliann said...

I'm coming to Chicago to see Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw I am so excited. Coming down on the 4th leaving the 8th staying at the Millenum (sp) hotel. Where would be a good place to see fireworks??