Tuesday, September 20, 2011

ER Visit

Monday morning, I woke up in some serious pain. I was dreaming and actually thought the pain was part of my dream, until I came around and realized it was very real. It was in my lower abdomen, right about where my precious baby is. I got up to pee and went to lay back down. I tried to asses the pain and I told Tom to wake up. It was only on my right side and so tender if you touched it. I kept waiting for it to go away and it just wouldn't. At one point, I freaked out that something could be wrong with Squishy and burst into tears. I told Tom to get the heartbeat doppler. We found baby's heartbeat right away, so that was a relief. The pain was getting worse and a constant throbbing even when I was completely still.

I called the OB to see if I needed to go to the ER or if I could wait until the OB opened in a few hours. I had the chills in bed and told her I had an upset stomach all weekend. Because of that, she said to go get checked out. We left for the hospital at about 5:40, dropped Trevor by my parents and went to the ER.

Of course, when I got there, the pain was much better. It was only tender if you pushed. We met with the doc, got an IV started, drew some blood and signed me up for an ultrasound. They wanted to put a foley catheter in but I promised I had enough pee for the ultrasound. The tech was so nice and I got to peek at the baby for a bit. She measured the head, femur, stomach and legs and it averaged to 16w6d and I was 16w3d. I have been a bit concerned about being so small and I'm glad to know the baby is measuring big! Baby looked perfectly healthy, so that was a relief. She checked my kidneys and ovaries. She couldn't find my right ovary, so they weren't sure what that was about. I was sent back to talk to the doc.

Doc came in and said everything looked fine. They didn't want to do any other tests that could harm the baby. He said it could be an appendicitis, gall bladder issue, kidney stone, etc? Now I wait to see if it comes back. So far, we are in the clear!

I had a regular OB appointment already scheduled for Monday evening. I kept it and filled her in on my day. She also said just to monitor the pain and call if I have a fever or vomit or anything out of the ordinary.

I really hope that was our last hospital visit before baby comes in 2012!

13 comments:

Stace said...

It's interesting that they couldn't find the right ovary... the same thing happened to me. After the boys everything shifted and my ovary is nowhere near where it should be. Maybe yours did the same?

Anyways, so happy that baby is okay! :) And stay out of the ER for many months!

Megan said...

So scary, but I am so glad that you and baby are well! Always fun to sneak a little peek at the baby :)

April said...

Oh no! Glad everything is ok!

Francesca Fine Jewelry said...

Are you prone to cysts on your ovaries? I had terrible pain on my right side when I was pregnant with my youngest. I also passed blood. It turned out that a cyst on my ovary ruptured. Maybe that's why they couldn't find your ovary. Sometimes when you have a cyst, it shifts the ovary over some. Or if it ruptures, fluid is around the ovary and it's hard to see on the ultrasound.
Jean

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

I'm glad everything looked okay with Squishy, and I really hope they can figure out what's going on! No more ER visits!

Melinda said...

Glad to hear you're doing better. I'm sure that was so scarey for you! So at 16w6d...did the ultrasound tell you if Squishy is a boy or girl?!?!

Erin said...

I'm glad you're doing better but I'm really surprised that they let you leave before finding out if it was an appendicitis or not.. not cool. Just lay low and take it easy. Hope you continue to feel better.

JDub said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JDub said...

Glad everything is ok! I thought you were going to get a sneak peek at the babe's sex out of that ultrasound :)

Jessica said...

How scary! So glad everything is OK and I hope you're feeling much better!

Tracy said...

So glad everything is ok! Scary, but good thing you were able to get it checked out quickly! I want to say congrats on being pregnant! I hadn't gotten to tell ya that yet cause I had gotten away from blogging for a bit. You and I have talked before and I used to be on your bloglist, so I'd love if you added me once again! I am so happy for you and your cute little family, and can't wait to hear if Trevor is going to be the big brother of another miracle little boy or a girl! Congrats again girly!

beth ewing said...

My first thought was appendix. Praying all is fine.

BabyWid said...

Glad everything is okay! I would love to talk to you more via email. I'm having some certain issues with my RE in the southwest suburbs/northwest Indiana. I would love to see where you go and maybe get some encourage words. I just feel more broken then ever!