Thursday, March 10, 2011

JP Meeting

Meeting Jodi Picoult the other night was amazing!! Me, my sister and Sam went. We got there early and sat in the 5th row. We talked wedding business and before we knew it, it was 7pm!

Jodi came out and read part of the book. The book is about a couple that is infertile. They go through 4 IVF treatments and finally get pregnant. She loses the baby in her 8th month. (Sam texted me all day BANNING me from reading the book. She says its horrifying and she was crying all day at work. I do plan to read it, after I finish my books from the library.) The couple splits. She becomes a lesbian and he becomes a part of a strict church. Their lives collide when she wants to use their frozen embryos with her new partner. That's pretty much where she left it.

The book was very special to Jodi because he son came to her halfway through writing it and told her that he was gay. She talked a lot about what a family is. She wants her son to be able to have a family someday and not have to jump through so many hoops to do so.

The book comes with a CD that corresponds with the chapters. She wrote the lyrics to it and a friend came along to sing. She sang 3 of the songs, all of which were pretty.

She answered questions for 45 minutes. I really just love her. She was funny, ridiculously smart, nice..everything I pictured.

One question was about the ending of My Sisters Keeper being changed in the movie. She said she found out when someone else emailed her about it! She tried to contact the director and he wouldn't answer her. She went to the set and got kicked off! Since the movie did terrible because her readers were mad the ending was different, the director has since been fired.

The most exciting news of the night was when she said that ELLEN Degeneres has the rights to her new book! I can only imagine what she will do with it. I adore both women, so I was jumping up and down in my seat!

After questions, they played the movie on the big screen of the theatre while others had their books signed. Luckily, we were in the 20's and got called right away. The actual signing was quick..we just said hello and got a blurry picture.


Above: Sissy and Jodi
Below: Me, not paying attention!! At least she looks nice. :)


I can cross this off my {unofficial} bucket list!

8 comments:

Beth said...

Glad you had a great time! She is one of my favorites! Thanks for the heads up about the third tri loss - I knew they lost the baby but I just assumed it was earlier on. I'm on the waiting list at the library for the book but I might need to wait until after this baby is here to read the book so I don't start having more nightmares than I'm already having.

B. Wilson said...

Yayaya! Dang it. I knew I should've just sucked it up and gone. You got to get it signed and everything?! Pshhh!!

I think I'll have to read the book. I'll probably cry all through it-- losing a baby is so close to home for me, sadly.

P.s. Do you not just adore that theatre? The prices are super cheap ($4 each!) and it's really cute and classy. We've been there about 3 times for movies and each time really enjoy it.

kim said...

I just found your blog from another blog.

I too am in the Chicago area. I also LOVE Jodi Picoult! And I am unfortunately going through fertility hell to have baby #2. Baby #1 is from IVF.

Just wanted to say hi.

Kim

www.wishihadacrystalball.blogspot.com

Katie K. said...

Can you say jealous?!?!?!?! I love her books and would love to meet her in person!

ks said...

I'm so glad to hear that she was ticked too by the ending change! It really made the movie fall flat.

Looks like I will have to pick up her new book, maybe I should wait a little bit to read it but...you know I can never resist a good read! LOL!

Crossing My Fingers said...

Very cool and the book sounds VERY interesting! I'm going to have to add it to my list.

Mrs. V said...

OMG OMG OMG!!! I adore her, super jealous that you got to meet her!

She's amazing, her books really hit home. I'm reluctant to read her book, only because pregnancy loss is still a tender subject for me, but how amazing!!!!

Stephanie said...

So jealous!! I LOVE her!!
Cant wait to read the new book!!
Ellen and Jodi..wow..thats going to be awesome!!