Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Beta Back Up

You have to be SO SICK of reading my crappy posts.

I am certainly sick of writing them!

Well, my beta went way up to 648 today. You have got to be kidding me!

Nurse said its very likely ectopic. I go back Friday to get blood work again and then they will call me to return in the afternoon for the methotrexate injection.

I am aching for this to just be over. Negative beta, no more bleeding.

How am I supposed to find closure when the wound is still WIDE open?

40 comments:

The Thai Family said...

I would think if it were ectopic they would be doing an u/s to determine that. Hope you get the closure you need soon!

Megan said...

I'm with The Thai Family - why haven't they done an U/S yet?

Misty McKinley said...

Still praying!!!!

Maybe....(only my opinion) waiting for your beta to go down is part of your healing process. Take this time to heal your body....your heart....your emotions....your TRUST in God's plan to grow your family.

Life is full of highs and lows. Allow God's perfect plan to unfold in your life.

TRUST that God only wants the BEST for your family...for you!!!

Nichole said...

I am with the other ladies and would demand an ultrasound. I was reading a blog the other day who had a very similar story to you. 2 transferred, numbers up, down a bit, then back up. She had a little boy earlier last week. Best wishes and hugs for you and your family.

Deanna said...

I would insist on an ultrasound. There's a blog I read (that's now private and I don't have the link) about a lady who they assumed was etopic, they gave her the shot, the baby made it, they gave her a second shot, then did the ultrasound to find the baby in the uterus. She felt she had killed her baby by not insisting on an ultrasound. I would insist.

Carrie said...

I do not want you to get your hopes up, but you need an ultrasound STAT! Do not take methodrexate until they confirm there is no baby, its unlikely but possible this is vanishing twin which can have similar numbers to this. Even though you had 128 12 days ago, that could have been when both babies were still there so take 1/2 of that and now somewhere in the 600s is a normal number. Bleeding with a vanishing twin happens too. Yes, this is not the likely scenerio but I still think the doc needs to do a trans vag to determine. Good luck!

Alyssa said...

I also wonder why they aren't ultrasounding you yet.

I wouldn't take anything they gave me (like the injection) until they checked the ute & tubes with an u/s.

e Daly said...

I'm so sorry Erin. Limbo is the wrost. Praying that you get answers soon.

Jessica said...

I can't help but pray that both embryos implanted and you lost one, but there is a little fighter left in there! What an unbelievable roller coaster this has been... many prayers for you.

Erin said...

I am so sorry you are on this hellish roller coaster. I am with the other ladies and would demand an ultrasound STAT! Good luck.

Momma and Her Doodle said...

Erin,
ULTRASOUND.

I rarely talk about this b/c it's painful for me but two embryo's were transfered. 5 weeks later I lost a twin and bleed heavily Beta's were all over the charts.
I have one rock solid lil boy that is my world from that transfer. My husband and I adore him...

Nicholas held on tight and was born on his due date. He is a happy 3 1/2 year old today.

If I did not speak up, I also would have had the methotrexate injection and Nicholas would not be here today. ULTRASOUNDact first.

beth ewing said...

i'm so sorry girl. i had a missed miscarriage so i went in at 10 weeks and the baby had not grown past 5 weeks. my hcg levels were sky high. i had to go in weekly until they got below 5. it took me about 4 weeks to get there. praying it's faster for you.

Suzanne said...

Hi Erin,
I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2007. At 6 weeks, I started bleeding bright red and had severe stomach cramps. I immediately went to the ER and they did a transvag ultrasound. I received the methotrexate shot and I don't mean this to scare you but it won't be over immediately. They tested my beta every other day for 10 days and it kept rising (it got all the way up to 16,000). By the 12th day, I was beginning to have more pain and we decided it was time for surgery. I ended up losing that tube because the embryo had grown to the size of a walnut. The doctor said it was a miracle that my tube didn't rupture.
Losing a pregnancy is horrible in itself but the ectopic seemed like a nightmare because I never had any closure until the surgery. I actually wished that I had done the surgery first and skipped the shot. It just seemed like it prolonged my pain (physical and emotional).
If you start to have abdominal pain (to the point that you are sweating and can't breathe), GO TO THE ER IMMEDIATELY!
If you want to "talk", feel free to email me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything turns out OK for you. Sending lots of hugs and prayers.

Dave and Elaine said...

I agree...ULTRASOUND! So sorry you are going through this :(

kinsey said...

do they not do an ultrasound? i've had two miscarriages and they did an ultrasound immediately when we thought something was wrong. especially if you think it's ectopic...can't those be dangerous??

Nic said...

Please please insist on a ultrasound before you do anything hasty. It may well be ectopic, but I would need to see it to accept it and only then could you get closure.
ULTRASOUND!!!

Brice Barnes said...

I am thinking of you, WHAT a ROLLERCOASTER. Will they do an ultrasound to confirm the ectopic?

Jen said...

Oh Erin, I am so sorry that this rollercoaster seems to be getting worse by the day. I agree on ultrasound comments, do you think your doc would be open to that?

Beth said...

I agree with both the nurse and all of these posters. Your numbers and situation sound so similar to my ectopic that I have a feeling the nurse is right and that is what is going on. Feel free to go back to my blog to look at my numbers, bleeding, etc. (March 2010). I also had a lot of bleeding but my numbers kept slowly increasing. However, when I was researching possibilities, an empty sac could also do numbers like this. I would DEMAND an ultrasound for a couple of reasons besides the obvious one stated of making sure there isn't still a growing baby in your uterus. 1) if it is an empty sac, they have time to let you try to miscarry it by yourself without worrying as much about your health 2) Once you go the route of the methotrexate you will have to wait much longer to start another IVF round than if you miscarry on your own or need a D & C 3) if it is an ectopic, by this time, it should show up on an US and you can know which side it is on. Might not seem like a big deal to know but that way they watch the tube for damage in the future. While the methotrexate shot worked for me, my tube did end up having enough damage that would have potentially caused future ectopics and/or miscarriages if it hadn't been taken care of (July 2010).
One last thing...I don't remember ever reading that you have had exploratory lap surgery. That might be one more reason to consider surgery instead of the meth shot. It might give your doctor some reasons as to why the 1st FET didn't work and what happened this time. I hope you start get good news soon!! I'm sending hugs and thinking about you!!

J said...

I am also wondering why they have not given you an US. They can't not say with any certainty what is going on. It could be a number of things ( one being a healthy baby growing in your uterus! ) Since your numbers were low with Trevor - one baby could easily produce these numbers. Bleeding could be from a loss of one baby ( not both )..please do not take that shot until they have given you and US - and I would ask why they haven't suggested that yet! Truly hoping for the best for you!

ourlovecaptured.com said...

Are you 100% certain that there isn't one baby holding on in there? If it were me I would probably demand another ultrasound before taking the meds.

Suzy said...

No ultrasound, NO SHOT!! I will pray for your doctor to make the right decision.

Renee said...

What a roller coaster. So sorry. :(

Jackie said...

I would insist on an ultrasound before I let anyone give me methotrexate since the effect of that are very final. There might be a little one sitting right where it should be!

Kahla said...

Oh Erin, I hate this for you. I agree with the others, demand an ultrasound before you do anything. I would never want to give false hope, but what I've had vanishing twin and really believe that could be the case here. Just don't do anything for sure until you know for sure. Sending so many prayers your way.

Bren said...

Please, please, please confirm with an ultrasound! After I had my miscarriage I had a friend who was told she had a blighted ovum at 5 weeks, to early in her opinion to tell so she had more blood work done from her Mom's friend who is a doctor and her betas rose and she found a new doctor, her daughter is now over a year old. Please, do not just get an injection, confirm with an ultrasound!

Hulst's happy guest said...

you don't know me, but i read your blog a lot. i just wanted to let you know i woke up at 530 am and was praying for people and you came into my head, so i prayed for you. just wanted to let you know. remember jer 29:11.

Sue said...

Please get an ultrasound

lori said...

What kind of dr would give the injection before doing an ultrasound? And why wait so long it damages the tube? I wouldn't let them touch me until they did an ultrasound and confirmed not only a ectopic but also an empty uterus. I'm not usually so blunt but there is so much at stake!!

twondra said...

Oh hun...I hate this rollercoaster for you. Man, it's not fair. Either pregnant or not pregnant....answers.

We're all here for you. (((HUGS)))

Lola said...

So sorry Erin :(

E said...

HI
I read your blog regularly but don't comment often. I just wanted to say please insist on an ultrasound. As good as Dr's are they aren't God and he can do anything. So please before you get the injections insist on an ultrasound
I hope and pray things are ok
Em
from Australia

Jodi said...

I'm sorry this is dragging out for you guys! I agree, I don't know why you haven't been given an ultrasound! I'd go there and wait until they gave me one.

Sorry!!!

lori in va said...

I would insist on an ultrasound, I had 3 miscarriages and then what they thought was another m/c, betas all over the place and I had u/s at 6w, and 7w and then at 8w 1d the day I was scheduled for a d&c, betas were still up and down they did one last u/s and there was my baby with a beating heart at 175 bpm! If I had not insisted on that last u/s before the d&c...I would have killed my baby unknowingly. That baby is now a happy healthy 6 yr old:) Hang in there, insist on a u/s today!

Katie & Ramon said...

Delurking here... i agree, why haven't they done an U/S to verify? and, i'm no expert, but is it possible for an IVF to become ectopic? that just seems unlikely that the embryos would go into a tube and implant... praying for your family :)

Megan said...

I also wondered the same thing as Katie & Ramon...I'm no IVF expert, but if the embryos are implanted in your uterus, is it likely they would move to your tube(s)?

Hugs!

Michelle said...

Sending you good thoughts.

Amber said...

Oh Erin! This has got to be so frustrating. That's really strange for your beta to increase. I've not heard of that before. I am a little shocked that they keep letting it go. How far along would you be right now? If it's ectopic, you don't want to go too long.

I know someone asked about an ultrasound, but if my memory serves me correctly, nothing will show up until your beta is over 1,000. Have you asked about it?

Kahla said...

Just checking in and thinking of you.

Cin said...

Hi Erin,

It breaks my heart to hear you so sad and broken. I hope that a US will help you with your questions.

And mostly, I hope you find your Happy again...