Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Life Changes

Tom graduates from the academy in two weeks. TWO WEEKS! These past 14 weeks flew by faster than I anticipated. I'm excited this day is coming, as I am ridiculously proud of my husband. I cant imagine I will get through his graduation without tears. The ceremony is at 2pm and I think we will be going our for a celebratory dinner afterward.

Reality is starting to set in for what our life will be like after graduation. He will finish out the regular week at the academy. Then, we think(I say think because I feel like we never are fully informed) that he will be doing on-the-job training for 2 weeks. That would mean he will be off for Christmas and New Years. Toms not sure if he could be called to pick up overtime during that 2 week period. It will be great if he can be around for Christmas Eve night, Christmas, NYE/day. I'm hoping, just not counting on it.

Then, the drastic change will occur. Tom will be assigned his shift. We are guessing it'll be the 3-11pm shift, since they have mentioned that is where they are short staffed. His days off will almost definitely be during the week..Mon & Tues, Wed & Thurs..? This means, we wont see each other at all 2-3 days a week. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, we should have until about 2pm together, unless I pick up work on Fridays. The two weeknight evenings he is off, we will take full advantage of, I'm sure.

Its just going to be really hard for me to give up my family weekends I love so much. I cherish our time together. I love waking up, being lazy, fixing breakfast, running our errands, going to birthday parties, etc. From now on, Ill always have to RSVP for just me and Trev. I would say this is only temporary, but were talking like 7 years before he has any kind of seniority.

I understand you have to start at the bottom. Tom is my other half and I just don't feel right without him. I am going to have to keep busy so I'm not lonely and bored. Thank God for Trevor.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

It is an adjustment. My husband works a rotating shift of 7-3 one week and 3-11 the other week, though his days off change every week because he works 4 days on, 2 days off. I'm a SAHM now, so I see him even when he works, but I used to teach and it was tough not to see him some days. Though I will be honest, having some nights alone is nice. I spend those nights either having some girl friends over, or I'll do cleaning, laundry, etc so I'm free to just relax with him when he's home! It's definitely a tough life, but it will seem like second nature to you guys soon!

truelifeofjess said...

It will be a bigg adjustment for everyone.My husband's shift was workign days and now he will be working 12am -8am and has monday and tuesday off and of course I work monday thru friday. I have gotten use to the shft just not the fact that I sleep alone. YOU guys will be ok. Good luck

Erin said...

I won't say it isn't easy but you will find a routine that works for you. Being in the restaurant industry means no weekends off and his days off are during the week when I am working. You will get through it, I promise :)

Christine said...

You will be fine... but like everyone has said, there is an adjustment period. When I started dating my husband he was on patrol, but right before we got married (3 years later) he got an investigator position that was week days (9am-5pm) with lots of middle of the night phone calls. It was almost worse with those random phone calls!

Alicia said...

Welcome to my world. My husband runs a restaurant and puts in 80 hour weeks and rarely has an entire weekend off. We make do, and yes I go to a lot of functions by myself with the kids. Everyone is right, you will find a routine that works for you. Granted I don't work so I look at it as if we have different weekend days than everyone else...problem is most people are not very receptive to the fact that not everyone has a typical weekend!

Crossing My Fingers said...

Congrats to your hubby!!! Good luck with the change. How's your cycle going?

beth ewing said...

you can do it girl. everyone else has said what i would say. i don't know anything about the schedule (although as military he often leaves at 5 and doesn't come home until 7) but i just spent a whole year without him. you find your new normal and you do it b/c you love him.

Amy said...

I have been a long time reader - first time commenter. I know exactly how you feel about shift work. I am a wife of a police officer and we have been married 9 years, together 10, and THIS WEEK he started his first ever day shift!! We have gone this entire time with him working weekend nights (his city works 12 hour shifts!!) It is hard to survive, but totally worth the security of his job. It will work itself out for you all in the end.

Good Luck with your IVF.

Lurker 24 said...

When I married hubby in 1994, he was an officer and I was a dispatcher - he worked swings and I worked graves. You learn to have your "weekends" whenever you can take time together. You will find that it's nice to shop, dine out, go to museums, etc during the week when it is less crowded. I enjoyed having the bed and remote to myself. Going to parties alone sucked at first, but you just get used to it.
It's a new way of living with advantages and disadvantages. Most important, hubby (sergeant now) is very happy and makes good money at the agency he works for with job security. That makes it all worthwhile. He is working 8 - 5 Mon - Fri and I am working 3 nights a week dispatching EMS helicopters. I wouldn't trade what we have for anything.