Monday, October 25, 2010

FET Plannin'

We had an appointment to sign the consent forms at our RE for our upcoming FET cycle. It was quick and painless. The only major decision was to choose if we wanted to thaw the second straw of embryos if one of the first two don't make it. We checked yes and are willing to transfer 3 embryos in needed. We know this means we could end up with triplets, but I really don't see us walking away from this cycle with more than 2 babies on board.. Otherwise, all the information was old news.

The nurse gave me my birth control pills to start when I start my next period. She also gave me some prenatal vitamin samples to figure out which one I like best. I did bring up my concerns for using progesterone in my cycle. The new RE uses Crinone-a vaginal suppository. I used PIO-the horrifying intramuscular injections-with my IVF cycle. I explained that I didn't want to "rock the boat" and do anything different this cycle. I mean, last time I ended up with Trevor. If this cycle does not work, Ill always wonder if that was the reason. She said they would be happy to add PIO into my flow sheet. She said he would likely have me do PIO in the morning and still use Crinone in the evening. I am happy with that plan. My cycle was approved by the insurance and they called my meds into the pharmacy. They should be arriving tomorrow!!

The last step before I start my period is transferring our embryos. We have a consent form we need to get notarized, since Tom will not be present when I pick them up. I need to go to the new clinic, pick up the tank(which they charge $250 for) and drive to the other clinic. They will move the embryos into the tank(which they charge a $150 transfer fee) and I will drive them back to the new clinic. The new clinic wants me to pay the $600 storage fee up front. If the embryos are there less than a month, I would be charged nothing. I explained to the woman that were looking at them being there 6 weeks..would I be charged the $600? She said no, that she would talk to her supervisor about a fee. I'm really frustrated by this because 1-this move is not our choice..damn insurance costing us a ton of extra money! 2-we paid for the year at the old clinic up until Feb. So we will be paying at two places for embryos that will be used in 6 weeks!! The only way we will get refunded is if we end up thawing both straws and have none left. I guess we will see what the outcome is..

That's a quick $1000 spent. :(

My pickup/drop-off appointment is at 9am on Friday. Then, I will be twiddling my thumbs until my period arrives. Ahh, I'm so anxious/excited!!

PS-My girlfriend asked me to be in her wedding. I pointed out that I will likely be 8 months pregnant. She said she only asked me because the bigger I am the skinnier she looks. Love that girl!! And Trevor will be attending the wedding in a baby kilt, to match the groom.I already found some online. :)

11 comments:

Crossing My Fingers said...

How exciting and I love your positive attitude. Man, that's a lot of money and it seems like you're the one doing all the work!

Mrz. Hannah Myhre said...

YAY! I'm so Excited for your up coming FET! Aggravating about all the moving fee's though I'm sure. Hoping time flys by for you:)

grace said...

That is so cool that you get to transport your own embryos.

The PIO & Crinone is exactly what I did for my last FET. My old RE did PIO, my new one did Crinone. I was comfortable with the PIO, after all, it worked before.

So, I did the shots in the AM and the supps in the PM until my beta, then switched to just the crinone after that.

Sarah Helfinstine said...

I haven't commented before, but thought I would today. So excited to see how things turn out!
I found both the suppositories & injections horrifying!! I started off with suppositories in the am & pm, then was upped to 4 a day at about week 8 when my progesterone levels dropped. My dr. finally switched me to injections which brought everything back in line!
[I'm currently 25 weeks with our first baby after 2 years of trying.]

Mrs.Joe said...

The ball is really rolling now! AND baby kilt??? I cannot wait to see pictures of this!!

Amber said...

Very exciting! Fingers crossed! :)

Erin said...

aaaahhh! I am so excited for youI Come on AF hurry up and get here. I am just now getting off the PIO and on Crinone for the next 3 weeks until the placenta takes over making Progesterone. I will let you know how it is.

Ashley said...

This is my first time to comment, but I wanted to let you know that I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with a singleton from a FET of 3 embryos. I did the PIO's because that's what my clinic requires (although they will let you switch if the shots are just too much for you) and also because for us the shots were WAY cheaper than the suppositories. Our storage fee was $850 up front and $50 a month thereafter, so I can see another FET in our near future, permitting this pregnancy continues going healthily. I can completely understand not wanting to rock the boat! I am all about not "jinxing" things. Wishing you the best of luck. Trevor is so handsome!!!!

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

SO excited for you! I am sorry that the insurance issues are costing you guys so much money, though. Hopefully, AF will arrive really quickly so you can get some babies on board!

I can't wait to see pics of Trev in his baby kilt... that is going to be precious!

Bobbi said...

Sounds awesome! When are you due to start your period? We may be on the exactly same cycle! I'll be starting my BCP mid-week next week. :) And yes, you should do EVERYTHING the same as your last IVF cycle because you came out with a beautiful baby boy! Transferring 3, though, yikes! But hey, if you have one, two or three...it's all a part of God's wonderful plan for you! So excited for you! Hope we become preger buddies!

Nicole said...

You are CRAZY to request pio!! I begged for an alt. so got cringe on my last cycle (that become my son), its great! I can't believe all the transfer costs! nuts! exciting that its starting to happen though :)