Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Insurance Woes

With Toms new job comes new insurance. Insurance I was very excited about having because its supposed to be amazing..low co-pays, great coverage, etc. We have been insured since August 30th, but they said if we needed to go to the doctor before we get our cards, we would have to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed later. It'll take a few weeks to get all our paperwork processed and submitted.

Today, I decided to call a few of our doctors to be sure they all take this new insurance. First up, chiropractor. Which is something I only go to once every few months but planned to go once a week when we began cycling again. They don't take the new insurance. Noo, I thought! I love it there, everyone is so nice.

Next up, I try Trevor's pediatrician. We ADORE his doctor! Any guesses? Yep, they do not take our new insurance. I guess I can cancel that 1 yr appointment.

I continue with the calls and try my gyno/OB office. No insurance coverage there. I guess I wont be fortunate enough to have the same doctor deliver all my babies.

Then, it hits me. Does FCI take our new insurance? That HAVE to. I call..my heart racing at the thought..THEY DON'T TAKE OUR NEW INSURANCE! I am CRUSHED. DEVASTATED.

I call back, ask to speak with my nurse and she was so cute when she answered the line. Are you ready to cycle? Ive been waiting for your call! Ugh, I had to tell her the news and she was disappointed for me. I cant believe I have to find a whole new clinic. A new doctor to trust. A person who will share in the most personal experience ever. I trust my old clinic, doctor, nurse. They gave me the greatest gift. How do I know a new office can get me pregnant again!? Plus, our embryos are frozen at the clinic. My nurse said I would have to get a consent and pick them up myself and bring them to the new clinic.

So, I need to find a new clinic. But first, I have to get a referral from a primary doctor, which we no longer have. I have no idea how an inital consult would work, if Tom cant be present. He can not miss a single second of the academy, which ends Dec 17th. I have to see if the doctor will agree with our FET plans. That were going to happen in a month. Now they will surely be pushed back. I AM SO FRUSTRATED I COULD SCREAM! AND CRY!

I need a beer.

20 comments:

WantWait&Pray said...

I visit your blog and wanted to comment on this b/c I went through this when actually switched clinics after 2 failed IVF's. I had to go through everything again so that the new clinic had my history, test, sono results, bloodwork from their lab. It felt like an ETERNITY to get all of the "logistics" underway so we could finally get going on IVF#3. But....we did it. And....out of all of the time consuming insurance woes, paperwork, appts with the new Dr, time spent with new clinic, insurance company, and of course all of the shots, etc...came my two beautiful babies. So....it WILL be worth the time and headache in the end. Good luck to you!

Melissa said...

All I can say is that sucks!! Drink that beer :o) Things will work out...hang in there.

Tera said...

I'm wondering what kind of insurance you have that NONE of the offices accept it??!! That's crazy. I work in 2 offices and we accept pretty much anything. Often times, it's just a matter of the doctor signing up with the company. Have you checked to see if there are area docs you are comfortable with who do accept your insurace? I'm not sure how much your insurance covers for infertility (Ours covers nothing.) but I'm wondering if it would be better to pay out of pocket for the FET. ?? Just a thought. I'm sorry you are having to go through all of this and hoping it gets smoothed out quickly.

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry :( Insurance is so frustrating!

Mrs.Joe said...

I'm sorry!! Maybe your doctor has other doctor friends that accept your insurance and they can make a suggestion? I'll pray this works out for you as quickly and easily as possible!!

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry to ehar about all of this! What a hassle. Can you keep both insurances for a few months (or until after the transfer?) I don't know what's best, but it's so frustrating to have to change everything. I hope you find some more amazing people that are excited to help you and your family stay healthy and grow!

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

Oh no! How awful, I can't imagine your frustration right now. I can't believe that not a single one of your doctors accepts it. You'll have to get a list of their providers so that you don't have to go on a wild goose chase calling around. I hope everything works out!

The Harrison's said...

Oh no. What a nightmare. Hope you get it all worked out in the end. You definitely deserve that beer!!

Joy@WhenDoesDaddyComeHome said...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! Oh my gosh my heart is just breaking right along with yours! I cannot imagine!!! UGH!

Rebecca (Craving Simplicity) said...

That is so frustrating! Go drink that beer (or two!!!)

Joy@WhenDoesDaddyComeHome said...

Oh and one good place to start looking is ratemds.com

grace said...

Ugh, insurance. Glad to have it, but it's often such a pain to deal with.
I had to switch clinics - my doctor moved to New York, and then I moved to OH. It was devastating losing someone who I trusted so much. It's way different than losing any other type of doctor. I honestly considered traveling to NY to do my FET's with him.

But, I found an OB I loved, and got his recomendation for a good RE, and actually had a better relationship with him than my former RE.

Good luck with all the searching you have to do.

BTW, it's worth it to ask your doctor to consider taking your new insurance, or giving you a discount, at least, if you stick with him.

Stephanie said...

OH my goodness!!!!! Bless your heart - I hope you can get things worked out and find doctors that you like and trust! I can't imagine having to leave our pediatrician behind - I think I'd just pay out of network for her :) I'm attached!

Jackie said...

Get in touch with the new insurance agency and ask for a list of Dr.'s and services in your area that it does cover. I don't know how the system works in the US but it seems quite complicated. Up here in Canada we go to the Dr. and their office takes care of all the red tape. If there is a procedure that isn't covered the Dr. tells you. I hope you get it all worked out soon and in the mean-time I hope you get pregnant all on your own. Take the fertility statue out of the drawer and rub his tummy! :-)

Kahla said...

Hang in there, in the end it will all work out even if it doesn't seem like it now.

Sue said...

Just wanted to offer support!!! I feel so bad for you and I wish you good luck. I hope it all works out, and SOON.

A said...

Oh No, Erin! :( This is so crappy!! Insurance is always such a difficult thing to deal with! I hope you are able to find new doctors that you like and hopefully your new clinic will be willing to speak with your old clinic about how they were planning to work with you this time around and then they can mimic it for you! OBVIOUSLY your old doc knew what he was doing because you have that beautiful little bundle of joy to show for it!!! Good Luck!

Mush said...

Oh no! That's horrible news. Don't worry honey, it will all work out in the end and you will soon be carrying another wriggly baby in your belly. It must be hard having to wait and to find new people to do everything but you just have to think they will be just as good, and you never know, might be even better! Try to stay positive as you have so much to look forward to. xxx

Momma and Her Doodle said...

Erin,
Use the insurance company's website to find out what providers accept your insurance. Go from there, keep your chin up thing will work out just like they did with Trevor.

Hope that beer was good, now go research what is available to you.

Amber said...

Oh no! That really stinks. Hope you'll find some doctors that you love!