Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Birthday Theme

Trevor's 1st birthday is coming up fast! I have been thinking about it for about 2 months now. I want it to be great, as this miracle deserves a celebration! (I think I used that same excuse for his baptism party, oops!) I don't plan on having a large party every year. I'm thinking 1, 5, 10, and 13! Its hard to keep things "low-key" when my immediate family is 15 people. So, it will be big and it will be great!

My first decision was to split the list into two. I was overwhelmed just writing the names down for the invites and couldn't imagine trying to entertain all the friends and family while documenting the occasion and enjoying my son. We have a handful of friends without kids, mainly unmarried. I decided we would do something separate for them. I think they will like it better, as I would have about 2 years ago! We will talk about that party later..

For his main/kids/big party, I wanted a cute theme. My first thought was a Bee-day party. Ya know, keep it simple with black and yellow, I found a super cute invite, etc. As I researched it more, a lot of the decor was girly and this boy does not need that. I moved on to finding a cute animal theme. It was hard to pick one..do you go with a safari? Or zoo? Or just giraffes? I didn't want to obsess over everything matching, so I threw that idea out the window.

We went to Party City one day and came across some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse items. It hit me-a Mickey party! I went home, googled for hours and decided on it! The main reason I fell in love was this invitation:


I'm going to stick with the bright colors..orange, red, blue and green!
Trevor's invite wording is below, I ADORE it!
I just love the color scheme on the invite and am using it as my focus for the rest of the party. I am not doing Mickey Mouse Clubhouse..just Mickey. Trevor has a personalized shirt to wear, along with his ears. I bought the plain Mickey pinata. Plus, candy will be on clearance after Halloween. ;) I bought a bday book for everyone to sign as a keepsake. I ordered Mickey return address labels for the invites/thank yous.
The party is from 1-4 at the clubhouse in our condo complex. Its a huge room that accommodates up to 150 people. I may borrow a jump house from a friend. Ill have coloring pages and possibly make-your-own-ears at a table. At 2 pm, I have the Tot Rock woman coming. Tot Rock is a local Mommy and me music class you can sign up for. Its the typical music, finger plays, dancing for kids of all ages. They will entertain the youngins for 45 minutes and each child will go home with an instrument. See how that ties in with the invite wording? Seriously, those little things make me SMILE!
I'm not sure what Ill do for food yet. I'm sure it will be the usual..beef, pasta, salad, fruit. I need to go to the bakery and talk cake, cupcakes and smash cake! I may price cookies for people to go home with. Of course, Ill have goodie bags for the kiddos.
I have the invites ready to go out, I'm just waiting until the beginning of October to come. They do have matching Thank you notes, but I really like giving/getting picture thank yous. Its cheap, quick and easy! I found postcards you can make, which makes the postage even less expensive. Ill be sure to get the perfect picture on the big day.
Any other Mickey/1st bday suggestions would be appreciated!!

13 comments:

Stace said...

You're so organized! I love the ideas... the invite, the Tot Rock... it will be a blast for your little miracle! Seriously, can you believe that he is almost one?!?! I can't wait to see everything come together. :)

Amber said...

So funny, we're doing a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse themed party, too (not until January, though.) I figured it was perfect since Jax LOVES the show and all thing Mickey! :)

Stephanie said...

Wow, its going to be one MAGICAL celebration!!
I cant wait to hear more about it!!

LORI said...

A tip that is totally worth it: we get a photographer for the girls birthday parties...it's awesome bc I KNOW I'm getting great pics of the event and I get to enjoy the party. Just an idea... :) :)

The Harrison's said...

Adorable! Sounds like it will be so much fun.

Kahla said...

Chase has a Mickey party for his third birthday. You can make your own Mickey cookies, you can purchase the cookie cutter through the Disney website. So easy and a great party favor!

Kelli said...

Erin, can't believe our little pumpkins are about to turn 1! I'm busy planning Lael's birthday party, too. She's having a Raggedy Ann party because that's what she's going to be for Halloween. Both of our little IVF miracles are such blessings. :)

Kaycee said...

We did a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse party for my daughter's 2nd birthday this year (her cake was "Oh Toodles!"). One easy decoration we did was to buy construction paper in primary colors and trace a Mickey head on them (we used red, black, yellow, and blue) and cut them out. We stuck them on walls all over the house with a bit of poster putty - it looked so cute! We also had 4x6 papers in the same colors we used for a craft. We had everyone who wanted to draw a picture and/or write a Happy Birthday message to her. We had Mickey stickers, crayons, markers, etc out. Adults and kids did them and we bought a little 4x6 photo album to put them in. Since we didn't have enough to fill the album we bought we printed off pictures from her party and alternated them with the messages. She LOVES to look a the book and calls it her "birthday book". :) Hope the suggestions help! Can't wait to see his adorable party pictures - those invites are so cute!!

twondra said...

Looks like a real good time. :)

Joy@WhenDoesDaddyComeHome said...

Go to the Dollar store!!! That is where I get most of my party essentials. ;-)

Mrs. Hammer said...

What a fun theme since you were all just visiting Disney. Such a lucky boy! Amazing that it will almost be one year :)

Jennifer said...

Oh it is all so cute! I love it! I can't wait to see pics from the party.
When I was at Target Friday, I saw the cutest Hungry Caterpillar birthday stuff. I love The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle! If I was planning a birthday party, that's probably what I would go with. It's just the teacher in me I guess. :)

Staci said...

I know you already bought a book for guests to sign but I wanted to share something I did for my kids' first. You know how at some weddings instead of a guest book they have a picture of the couple in a frame with a big ma around it and the guests sign the mat? I did that for my kids' first birthdays. I had a cute pic of the child in the pic for the party and a pen for the guests to use. I put the frame on an easel so everyone saw it when they came in for the party. During the party you get so many pics of the birthday one year old...choose one to replace the one in the frame and hang it in his room.