Thursday, August 26, 2010

Girls Weekend

Its about time I get around to reflecting on my girls trip. It was really great and the perfect amount of time away! We talked about making it an annual thing..I'm not sure where Ill be in August of 2011, but we can hope it'll work out. :)

Thursday evening, Tom drove me and Jamie to the airport. I was super crabby/sad leaving my men behind, but got a giant beer at the airport to calm my nerves. We got on our first plane and were delayed a bit waiting for extra baggage. We knew we only had a 25 minute layover before our next flight so we were anxious to see if we would make it. Toward the end, it was the roughest flight Id ever been on. I was so glad Trevor was not with me, I would have been freaking out! Denver is apparently a tricky airport to land in. We arrived late, but they held the plane for us since it was the last one of the night. We ran across the huge airport and enjoyed having a row to ourselves. We landed at about 1am Chicago time and I was sure we would go to bed right away. That was NOT what happened! We arrived at Heathers apartment and hung on her patio until 4am, reminiscing about our nearly 10 yr. long friendship. It was a perfect way to start the trip!

Friday, we woke up late and ran to get breakfast. Then, we hung by the pool while Heather ran to pick up Jill from the airport. It was about 110 degrees for our entire trip. The heat was hard to get used to. If you were not by/in water every minute, you were dripping in sweat and taking deep breaths. We went shopping for a bit and then enjoyed manicure/pedicures. The day flew by and it was back to the apartment to get ready to go out!! Heathers bday was the Sunday before, so we had some celebrating to do!

We went to Oregano's for dinner, then barhopped. Heathers girlfriend Chantelle came along and was tons of fun. It was a long night..





Saturday we woke up early and drove 45 minutes to Salt River. There, you pay to rent a tube and get a bus ride to the river. We tied our tubes together with the cooler in the middle and floated for almost 4 hours! It was fun, but could have been a little shorter. They said it was moving a bit slow, except for 4 or 5 spots. In one of the rapids, I was facing backward and we quickly were heading for dead trees/branches on the side. I wrapped my arms around my head to protect it and the branches intertwined in my pony tail! I was pulled off my tube and completely under water. Thankfully, I was able to get free quickly and swim over the the group. It was really scary..and it would have been terrible if more had happened. There were no checkpoints or lifeguards..it was float at your own risk. And that we did! We stopped at In n Out Burger on the way home, yum! You cant be on the west coast and not enjoy one!








We were SO tired after the river, but there was no way we were sleeping the night away. We got ready and went to RA for dinner. Then, we went to Scottsdale and checked out a bunch of bars. We had fun dancing like old times. They had guys driving bike-taxis and we hopped one back to the car.

We slept like babies and I woke up ready to see MY BABIES! I packed up, and wished I could have fast forwarded the next hours and been in WI. Fortunately, the flight back was quick and easy and I couldn't have been happier to see Tom and Trevor. And to be back to 85 degree weather!
Trevor did amazing while I was gone. He stayed with a family friend Thursday and my sister Friday. Tom got off work early both days and loved the time alone with him. Trev took the bottle and actually seemed to enjoy it. He adapted to being woken up earlier, being with other family members, etc. I pumped 3x a day and missed him every second. To be honest, I thought I would be so consumed with missing Trevor that I wouldnt miss Tom as much. I was wrong, I couldnt believe how much I missed him! I am very thankful to be married to such an amazing man. I knew Trevor was in the best hands every minute I was gone. Tom is capable of doing every single thing I do, other than giving boobie ;). I know not all Dads are like that and I dont take it for granted! I came home and just felt..relief. Like everyone was exactly where they were supposed to be.
All in all, it was wonderful trip. That was missing two pieces.

5 comments:

jenn said...

looks like a really fun trip!!!!
i love floating! we usually go camping/canoeing once a year...but we are not going this year (hard for us to go camping with a 7 month old!)...and i am sad about it...but we WILL go next year!

Jill said...

That looks like a great time! I can't believe you were pulled off the tube by a branch?! That's really scary!!! Glad you had a good time!

Beth said...

I live in Scottsdale, so it was nice reading all about your experiences; things I'm so familiar with. I LOVE Oregano's, and you're right -- the heat gets to you VERY fast. Glad you enjoyed your time in AZ :)

Bobbi said...

I think I'm going to live vicariously through you. At least through this post! Looks like lots of fun! :)

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I'm glad you didn't get stuck under the water, that sounds like it would have been so scary!

I'm glad that Trevor did so great with Tom- you've got a good guy on your hands!