Sunday, August 8, 2010

Downtown Chicago

I finally have internet at my house!! Expect a major catch-up in comments and posts in the next few days!!

Going back a few weeks..actually, it was the day Trevor turned 8 months. We decided to take the free Sunday we had on the calendar and go downtown. We started the day early and boarded the Metra for Trev's first real train ride. He sat nicely and enjoyed the 40 minute ride.


First, we walked from Union Station to the Sears Tower. We had been there once before, but recently, they added the Skydeck window..where you can look down over the city. We anticipated a long wait and were pleasantly surprised when we bought our tickets and were sent directly to the elevator up. It is 103 stories high. Neither of us are scared of heights, however, I felt a bit anxious when I first set Trevor down on the glass.

Baby-zilla!!!









I nursed Trevor in the food center and then we were on our way to the next stop, Buckingham Fountain. On the way, we were able to see a scene from Transformers 3 be taped!! They've been filming it here for most of the summer. Anyway, we continued our trek to the fountain. They added a fence around it, so you cant get as close as you used to. Trevor really wanted to take a dip, but we held him back. :)






This is not staged, he would not let go!




We sat in the shade and fed Trevor some lunch. Then, we took another long walk over to the Bean at Millennium Park.







Finally, we took the longest walk of the day over to Navy Pier. By then, our legs were starting to feel pretty sore. Tom also woke up early that morning and ran 10 miles for his marathon training! I don't know how he does it..

Anyway, we walked around the Pier, watched the kid entertainer, ate an early dinner, met with our friends to chat and completed the day with letting Trevor go in the fountain.




We opted to take the water taxi back to Union Station. It was a straight shot for only $7/person. We enjoyed getting a ride and seeing the buildings..and sitting. I nursed Trevor on the ride, where it was less crowded than the train was.





Add it to the modes of transportation I have breastfed on..
It was the perfect summer day. We love living close enough to the city that it can be a quick visit. Chicago is BEST summer destination!

14 comments:

Bobbi said...

AWESOME PICTURES!!!!! Makes me want to visit Chicago. I've always heard great things about that city.

~Bobbi @ www.thejohnsonsjourney.com

D said...

I'm jealous your photos on the skydeck turned out so much better than mine! Cute pics.

ashley said...

You have such a cute little boy! He's adorable! Loved the pics!

twondra said...

You make me wanna go soooo bad! My brother lives in Chicago and last summer we went out to visit him but Mark was sick and ended up not going downtown...I was bummed. :( I'm so anxious to see the Sears tower!

Mrs.Joe said...

That kid of yours is so cute! Looks like you had a great time :-)

Amber said...

We love the city, too!! Oh my gosh, those pictures of you guys on the skydeck at Sears Tower make my stomach turn! The older I get, the more afraid of heights I am. Sounds like a wonderful day!!

凱v胡倫 said...

你不能決定生命的長度,但你可以控制它的寬度..................................................................

Melinda said...

What a fun outing!! Makes me want to visit :-)

beth ewing said...

fun. i've never been to Chicago but always wanted to visit. and i had to laugh at the list of transportation you've nursed on. good for you. we've never been the kind to slow down just b/c we had a kid. i say do what you want to do and take them along. trevor will be a more well-rounded kid for it.

Mike and Katie said...

The glass is pretty scary looking. My stomach would be doing flip flops! Love the fence grab! Trevor is so funny!

The Bean is so cool. Some friends from ND called is the Cloud Gate or something, but my dad said the locals called it The Bean.

Erin said...

Hi just found your blog, my name is Erin too and an infertile hoping for a peanut.

You have a beautiful family!

Dianne said...

LOVE the pictures!!!! What awesome memories you have made!!!!!

Jamie said...

Nursing on the metra is NOT FUN!! For some reason old men always sit by me the days that Lauren wants to breastfeed. Good thing Trevor will stay under your little cover, I am sure I have flashed a lot of people...oh well, haha!

VAF said...

Love your blog!

We're planning on visiting Chicago for a wedding next weekend with our 9 month old son (he was born 2 days before Trevor and is also an IVF baby)--just curious when and where Trevor napped during your visit. Looks like you guys had a blast! I hope our visit goes smoothly too.