Monday, August 2, 2010

Bottle Bootcamp

Today marks day 1 of bottle bootcamp for Trevor. I have been putting this day off for months. I continue to love nursing him and telling myself that he can have it a little bit longer. I truly thought Id be 100% done by August 1st. I had no idea I would love breastfeeding like I do.

Anyway, there's a little push in my future that is making weaning more appealing. August 18th I leave for a 3 days girls trip to Phoenix! One of my closest friends, Heather, is a flight attendant and moved out there in March. Shes finally settled in and has some time off, so me, Jamie and Jill are flying out to visit! We leave on a Wednesday night and all fly home on separate flights. I will be leaving Saturday and flying directly to Milwaukee. Toms going to pick me up there, then we will go to stay at our cottage so we can go to the Irish Fest on Sunday. My trip is short, which I am grateful for. I cant wait to have fun with the girls, but I am nervous about leaving Trevor. He is with me 24/7. I will be across the country from him for 3 whole days. I may have a freak out! Or seven..

Anyhow, Trevor will be fine back here with pumped milk while I am gone. I have an overabundance of milk stored. I don't want to be pumping the whole time of vaca, nor do I want to be leaking all over the place. My plan is to nurse him when he wakes up, give him 2 bottles during the day time, feed him at dinner and again for bedtime. Ill give my boobs a few days to adjust and then plan to drop that dinnertime feeding. Ill lug my pump to AZ to pump for those 2 feedings..I'm just not ready to be done yet.

He took a bottle from me this morning. i hope he continues to cooperate with Mama. :)

PS-Anyone with weaning experience that has a tip would be much appreciated!!

12 comments:

Dave and Elaine said...

Ha! Your post today made me laugh! I just wrote a post on my blog today about today being Day One of the bottle weaning process for Little Bug! I am trying to get her OFF the bottle and just on the sippy cup!

Sounds like you've got a great plan going. Hopefully Trevor will cooperate!

I bet that will be hard to be away from Trevor for 3 days, but good for you for taking some time for yourself and going off to enjoy some girl time!! Have fun!

MysteriousMindy said...

After shadowing lactation consultants, we found a lot of women trying to wean too quickly and then getting painful engorged breasts and sometimes mastitis...you definitely don't want it especially on vacation, so try to drop back feedings very gradually...good luck!

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

No advice for you here but good luck! Hope you have fun on your girl's trip! :)

April said...

You are such a fantastic mama! Just thought I'd tell ya that!

Lindsay said...

Have you tried to give him in milk in a sippy cup? He might like a cup better than a bottle?!

J said...

I'd suggest the same that others did, to decrease the feedings gradually. Try to drop 1 feeding/day every few days. I'd recommend keeping the first and last feedings until the end. I started losing the middle of the night feedings, then one during the day (and spaced out the others accordingly) and then another feeding during the day, until all I was doing was one in the morning an one before bed (about one every twelve hours). Then, I dropped the morning feeding and only did the nighttime one (just because it was easier for me to pump at night than before work).
GL and email me if you have any questions. I didn't last as long as you =( and went through the weaning when DS was 5 months old (about a month ago).

Jamie said...

Yep Yep Yep to what everyone else is saying. One day I didn't have time to pump while at work and got a horrible plugged duct. You definitely don't want to be suffering on your vacation! We found the other thing that worked was a sippy cup, I think it is called 'nub' and is soft spout and top so it "feels" more like a breast.

Good luck!

Melissa said...

Were going to Irish Fest in Milwaukee as well. Maybe I will see you there. :o)

Jamy said...

when i was weaning, it only took me a couple of days to be completely done. I only pumped when I was starting to feel like i needed to. Gradually, the time in between pumping gets longer and longer.

翔馨陳陳翔馨陳陳 said...

世界上沒有本來就應該的事,因為老天爺也沒有劇本..................................................

Dianne said...

Just when I left Phoenix!!! I can;t wait to hear about the weaning process... it really helps to have bloggers a few months ahead so I can learn from them! Good Luck!!

Heads up - it is SUPER hot in AZ so drinks lots of H2O!!!