Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Academy Begins..

Yesterday was Toms first day of the academy. He looked so handsome in his dress blues!! The entire day consisted of an overload of information and paperwork. He was so mentally exhausted last night. Today started PT. They run it for an hour and a half in the morning. Luckily, Tom is in the best shape of his life right now, thanks to the marathon training!

He reports at 6:45 am and leaves at 4:20. He cant have his phone with him and I'm going through withdrawls not talking to him all day! Some days he will work other times. For instance, this Friday, he will be in the jail from 2-11:30 pm. He was surprised to find he gets holidays off..Labor Day, Columbus Day(day after the marathon, so this is great!), Veterans Day(Trevors 1st birthday!) and Thanksgiving. His last day is December 17th, so he will likely be working on Christmas, New Years and every holiday for the next tenish years! Eek!


I mentioned we needed to buy a lot for the academy. A lot is an understatement! When he went 2 weeks ago, they gave him a list of items that needed to be purchased. Every single items had to be brand new, with a receipt to prove it. Tom spent over $900 at the Police Gear store..uniforms, shoes, belt, flashlight, etc. We bought over $100 worth of school supplies from Office Depot, mainly 3 ring binders and tab separators. New gym shoes, a pocket dictionary, specific socks and undershirts, a garment bag, lint roller, the list went on and on.Every item was VERY specific, ie: ball point pens, crew cut T's, white gym shoes. We ran around to about ten stores acquiring all of the items and charging away. Were not sure what they will reimburse us for..hopefully a good portion. I think the total came out to more than $1300! Plus, he will need to buy a gun/bullets/case soon.

Apparently the second half of the day is classroom. I believe he will have some homework and reading some nights. Its all preparing me to life as a kinda-sorta single Mama. I also thought ahead and realized that when we do our FET, it will be on a Friday. Tom wont even be in the same room as I become "pregnant" with his baby. Weird to think..
We will adjust to the life change. Its going to make our life better and that's all that matters.

I almost forgot! I saw this super cute line out at Gymboree a few months ago. I didn't buy any because 1) I don't pay full price there and 2) I didn't want to jump the gun. As soon as Tom had the job, I went online with my 30% off coupon, happily saw the items were already 20% off and ordered away. Here are a few shirts I got for baby T's fall wardrobe. :)


Any other police officer wives out there? How DO you do it?

12 comments:

Mandy said...

It's tough being a police wife! My husband had just started the police academy when we met, so I have been through it all. Even though he was tired at the end of the day, enjoy the time while he's in the academy! At least he has a set schedule then and is off on weekends! It all goes down hill then. It is an elite club you are in now, and a very proud one! But it is hard, and the holiday thing never gets easier. Is Tom going to be working in the jail? That's what my husband does and that is a whole different world. Please feel free to contact me with any questions! I've been a police girlfriend then fiance then wife for 7 years now, so I've got a lot of this down!

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

Sounds like a lot of prep for the academy! I hope it all goes well for him. Hopefully he'll end up getting some holidays off in the near future- that seems to be the hardest part!

Just wait until Tom gets his gun. Then, he'll turn into an obsessive gun-loving guy like my Trevor and will beg you for a new one all the time. I think one Glock, one revolver and one shot gun is enough for any man, right?

April said...

Josh and I were already married when he became a police officer..actually I was pregnant with Peyton while he was in the academy! It's funny because I don't even remember what our life was like before! Luckily holidays aren't really that bad because Josh doesn't require a whole lot of sleep! :) Welcome to the club, sister! And you know where to find me if you ever need to vent!

Karen said...

I am not a police officer's wife, but my husband works at a power plant. His job requires 12 hour rotating shifts. He has worked many holidays since our relationship began. It is just something you get used to I guess. He works 2 weekends out of every 4, so his off weekends are usually jam packed. It is the life we live and we love it. I totally get the "single working mom" feel when I have to work and he is working nights. They make for a long 4 days seeing him only for a few minutes before I drop the kids off to the sitters and he is gone when we get home. You get used to it...I promise!

Kristin said...

Those are the perfect outfits!!
Good luck with everything!

Stephanie said...

I can't tell you from a police wife's perspective but I grew up with two police parents.

I was shocked to hear you guys had to purchase all that stuff - I thought they would issue everything. Bless your hearts! I hope you all get reimbursed for it all - bet you'd love that!

Love Trevor's outfits - those are adorable!

Kahla said...

Adorable! I'm sure ya'll will adjust just fine and he'll do great!

beth ewing said...

love the outfits. my mom was a police wife for awile. me i'm an army wife and i lose my husband for a year at a time. you'll do just fine. you'll get used to it and it will be your new normal. you love Tom and this is his chosen profession so you'll support him and do what you need to do.

mwarner0712 said...

Being a police wife is TOUGH!!! Its also rewarding. We have a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old. Our oldest will proudly tell anyone her Daddy is a hero! My husband went to the academy for 10 weeks when our daughter was only 7 weeks old(we are in MS and you have to stay on the base there. He would leave on Sunday night and be home late Thursday night) You just learn to make adjustments. My husband has been in law enforcement for almost 4 years now. He has probably been gone to some type of training for 18 months of that. As bad as it sounds, its really not. Yes he does have to work a lot of holidays but he makes up for it when he is off. From what I have read in older posts, Tom is a GREAT husband and father and he will make it work too. YOu are more than welcome to email me anytime if you have any questions about what its like. I wish yall the best of luck@!Being a police wife is TOUGH!!! Its also rewarding. We have a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old. Our oldest will proudly tell anyone her Daddy is a hero! My husband went to the academy for 10 weeks when our daughter was only 7 weeks old(we are in MS and you have to stay on the base there. He would leave on Sunday night and be home late Thursday night) You just learn to make adjustments. My husband has been in law enforcement for almost 4 years now. He has probably been gone to some type of training for 18 months of that. As bad as it sounds, its really not. Yes he does have to work a lot of holidays but he makes up for it when he is off. From what I have read in older posts, Tom is a GREAT husband and father and he will make it work too. Being a police wife is TOUGH!!! Its also rewarding. We have a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old. Our oldest will proudly tell anyone her Daddy is a hero! My husband went to the academy for 10 weeks when our daughter was only 7 weeks old(we are in MS and you have to stay on the base there. He would leave on Sunday night and be home late Thursday night) You just learn to make adjustments. My husband has been in law enforcement for almost 4 years now. He has probably been gone to some type of training for 18 months of that. As bad as it sounds, its really not. Yes he does have to work a lot of holidays but he makes up for it when he is off. From what I have read in older posts, Tom is a GREAT husband and father and he will make it work too. You are more than welcome to email me anytime with any questions about what it is like. I wish yall the best!!!

mwarner0712 said...

Sorry.....I thought it would attach my email address. It is mwarner0712@yahoo.com

Rachel said...

good luck with everything! your baby boy is PRECIOUS! i love your blog! Leslie designed my blog too and that's how I came across yours! :)

Stacey said...

My husband isn't a police officer but he's a fireman and I'm not going lie...it's hard! It's hard not having him home every night. It's hard worrying about him every second he's at work. It's hard not to have him home for holidays. But it's what he enjoys and it's his passion so we make do. He does have alot of time off so we're able to make up for all the times he's missed. And now that we have a baby it;s a little hard on him because he's missing on a few of her "firsts" but he actually gets more time with her then I do because he's not working every day. Good luck. You'll make it work. Thousands of people do it and you can too. It's a different life style but you'll get used to it and learn to treasure those moments together even more!