Saturday, August 28, 2010

9 Month Checkup

We took Trevor to his 9 month doctor visit yesterday. He was quite the entertainer. We had to wait about 20 minutes for the doctor to come in and Trevor enjoyed ripping apart the paper on the table. He was weighed and measured by the nurse. He only gained 1.5 lbs since May and now weighs 20 lb. 10.5 oz. He grew 1.5 inches and now measures 28.5 inches! He is just above the 50th percentile for both. His body has really evened out since he started crawling, which I fully expected. The doctor came in and Trevor was flirting the entire time we were talking. He kept making funny faces and trying to get her attention. She was happy with every milestone, impressed with his mood while cutting 4 teeth, and said he is perfectly healthy! Music to Mamas ears! She said we can start introducing cows milk around 10 months and gradually transition to it 100% by one year. Trevor had his last Hep. B shot and only cried for a minute. He is such a trooper.



I still cant fathom that we will be traveling down to Florida in less than 2 weeks! Ive been boo-hooing about going without Tom, but I know how happy the rest of my family is that were going. Plus, there is a special rendezvous planned..details on that later.

If anyone has tips for traveling alone with an infant, please let me know! I laugh when I picture myself strolling through the airport with his massive stroller, luggage, carry-ons, car seat, and a 20 lb maniac! Once we arrive, Ill have all the help I want. But, flying to and from will be another story! I did order a new sling today and I'm hoping to keep him in that so I have my hands free. I realize people do this every day..its just new to me!

12 comments:

Stace said...

No tips... but I still had to say that he is TOO cute for words! (As always!) I wish he and Colby could meet! :) Can't wait to hear all about your next trip!

~Rachel said...

We have traveled alot with the kids. A SLing is a MUST! Check your car seat and other luggage at the curb. Wear slip-on shoes with socks so you don't have to barefoot in the airport security. Let the security know if you have any liquids, they will scan them. Bring a lightweight stroller. I hardly ever had an help folding/unfolding it to put on scanner, so go for easy!
Pack a change of clothes for baby and a shirt for you. Ask flight attendant if any of the bathrooms have changing tables so you'll know which one to go to. My kids are 5, 3, and 1 now and have flown more than most people. I always visit the $1 store before a trip and get random things in a bag. They love playing with non-toys at his age, so whatever keeps them occupied!!
And lastly...don't stress. Have fun! It's an adventure!

Mike and Katie said...

Nurse him or give him stuff to snack on during take off and landing to help with the ear pressure change. Also, hire a porter, those guys cruising around in the golf-carts. It would be so worth it!

I have found a Moby style wrap is much more hand-free and secure but the Moby are too strechy. I just use 5 to 5 1/2 yards of crinkle cotton/gauze material. Here are some posts with pictures of my wrap and a video for getting the baby on my back.

http://mikeandkatie1.blogspot.com/search/label/babywearing

This site is full of videos too.

http://wearyourbaby.com/Default.aspx?tabid=173

Happy travels!

The Harrison's said...

I just flew alone with my 9 month old. I used a backpack for our carry-on so my hands would be free. I also used the travel system stroller with the carseat attached and just put it under the plane so I didn't have to check it. It really wasn't that bad. Have fun.

Amber said...

I have been wondering about cow's milk. I thought it was a year, but I have another friend who's almost 11 month old doesn't take any formula/breastmilk.

Good luck flying! We're doing the same thing in a couple weeks for the first time so no tips here. I'm sure you'll be glad you have a sling. I'll be taking my Ergo and ring sling.

Jackie said...

Buy a baby harness to secure him to the seat and (oh yes ear plugs for all on board if he is a screamer…sorry bad joke) as well as new things to play with, non-messy snackies to eat. Headphones and music that he will like are very amusing as well as distracting from the fact that he can’t roam around and visit everyone. Barring all that baby gravol to knock him out. Don’t worry it will all work out. Have fun!

jenn said...

these pictures are too cute! no tips on traveling alone with a baby...ive never done it before, but my sister did fly from FL to IL and back with a 3 month old and a 4 year old...

Kaycee said...

If at all possible have someone come into the airport with you and help you get to the check-in. Once your big bags are checked it's a lot more manageable. If you have lots of help coming on the other-side I would just check the stroller and the carseat and use the sling to get you and Trevor through the airport. If you can do one simple carryon with what you and he needs and him in the sling it is much much easier. Definitely wear slip-on shoes for security and check with security if they will just let you carry him through in the sling (some will some won't and want to see his whole body out). Good luck!

Carly said...

Erin,
I was looking for an e-mail address on your blog, but could not find one. I have been following your blog for a while, and to be honest, I can't remember how I found you. I live in Orlando and have a beginning photography business. If you would not mind, please send me an e-mail at carlysphotography(at)gmail.com I'll e-mail you back. I look forward to hearing from you.

Leah said...

I have flown alone with my baby 5 times this year. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I have a Becco carrier and it saved my sanity. It is completely hands free and is not hard on the back like a Moby Wrap can be. Ergo carriers are good too. I'm not sure about a sling..not quite as secure when trying to move luggage, etc. I never travel with a stroller but you may need one while you are traveling? It will be tough but it can be done! You will suprise yourself with how you can get it all done!

Ashley said...

Glad to hear that he is healthy! He's as adorable as ever. :)

Carol said...

There is a stroller that converts into a carseat that lots of people use. I never had one but know friends that have used them and liked them and just saw a lady with two kids by herself on my plane the other day who made it on. People are very nice and will help you push and carry stuff onto the plane. The only difficult thing I found when I traveled with mine was going to the bathroom and holding them at the same time but the sling should help with that. You can do it!