Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Goodbye Grandpa

Toms grandfather passed away Monday evening. He was 85 years old. We knew it was coming. We spent last Wednesday evening by his Moms house, enjoying his company one last time. His Mom called Monday at about 5 and said the hospice nurse couldn't get a blood pressure reading and the end was near. We rushed over as quickly as possible and he waited until Tom was there to let go.

Tom is heartbroken. His Grandpa was, hands down, his favorite relative. He is who he is named after. Their personalities were very similar. He spent a lot of time with his grandparents while he was younger. As he grew older, he still made time to call them in Florida and keep in touch. We made trips down to visit as often as possible.

Ill never forget the first time we flew down to see them. It was actually the June after we got married, so a bit over 4 years ago. We were in Orlando with my family and we drove with my parents to their condo in St. Petersburg. My parents dropped us off and they went to hang at the beach. As we were about to walk in, I was feeling really nervous. I was anxious to meet the wonderful people Tom talked about often. I stopped Tom and said, “Wait, what is your grandpas first name again?” Haha, Thomas, of course!

We visited them again the following Christmas. I surprised Tom with a trip down. It was the most laid back trip we have ever taken. Our days revolved around meal times and Wheel of Fortune. It was wonderful. We actually had booked another trip the following year, but they had grown older and were unable to take care of themselves anymore. So, they returned to IL to like with Toms mom and have remained there since.

We were lucky to have his grandparents in the area the past 2 years. Grandpa was able to see how happy Tom is, to see my belly grow, to hold Trevor. He was ready to go be in Heaven and we are blessed to have him looking down on us.




Rest in Peace, Grandpa, Thomas John, Bud. We love you!

11 comments:

Shelli Ryan said...

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful grandfather and friend.

Anne said...

I am so sorry for your loss....

Mrs.Joe said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Tom have a lot of great memories with him.

Laura said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Erin. Grandpa's are very special people & it sounds like he was no exception.

李志吉 said...

I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat..................................................................

Kahla said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's always hardest on those left behind. He sounds like he was a wonderful man that will be greatly missed.

Allison said...

I am so sorry to hear about their loss. He sounds like a wonderful grandfather and I am so glad he was able to meet your little miracle! What great memories you guys have.

Angelwingsbaby said...

So sorry for your loss hun ((hugs))

Gill said...

Oh hugs to you all. So sad for your loss. I am sure his memories and lessons Will never be forgotten.

Jodi said...

I'm so sorry!

On a happier note - your new blog is so cute!

April said...

I'm so sorry! Sounds like he was amazing!