Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sissys Rash

Me=Slacker. Broke my goal and didnt blog yesterday. Thought about changing a post time and fooling you guys. Decided I'd feel to guilty. Todays post will be short.

My Sissy who thinks/thought she was miscarrying..developed PuPPP. I googled and found this:

What it is: It's a real dog, that's what it is. Occurring in one of every 150 pregnancies, PUPPP stands for "pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy." In plain English, PUPPP is an itchy, bumpy rash — annoying but benign — that usually develops on the abdomen near the umbilical area and spreads to the thighs and extremities. It’s most common in first-time mothers and those carrying multiples. Sometimes itching can become very severe and spread to the rest of the body, but never on the face (thank goodness for small miracles). The good news: PUPPP poses no risk for your baby.

Uhm, shes a 4th time Mom. So, multiples? Could you imagine? The doc wouldnt give her an ultrasound and the next OB appt. was May 27th. I can not wait that long. I hope she goes sooner..

Anyone have insight to this? Or had it?

10 comments:

Beth said...

I had that when I was pregnant with our twins!!!!!!!! Ugh! MISERABLE. The itching was about unbearable! I didn't take anything, even tylenol, while I was pregnant, because I was afraid it would harm the babies, UNTIL I got this. I couldn't even sleep for the itching. I took something the Dr. prescribed me, and now I can't remember the name of it! Sorry. I'm sure she can ask her Dr. though. Whatever it was, it really helped, and of course did not harm the babies in any way! Of course I know that a dr wouldn't prescribe something unsafe, but there is always that worry. I'll be praying for her!

Meghan said...

I had it when pregnant with my son, got it around 37 weeks and it was easily worse than labour for me. It was HORRIBLE! Haha. No seriously.

I had a few different creams prescribed for me - if you want I can dig out what they were. The other things that helped me were cool baths with an oatmeal powder to soothe itchy skin and sitting in my parents cold pool.

Saffy said...

Ladies, it sounds heinous :( At least it's not risky to the baby(ies!!)

elizabeth said...

I had it with my second pg. My first was stillborn in the 5th month :(....but that was still my 1st pg and I didn't get it then. But I did get it with my 2nd, and my daughter was the only babe in there :) It was awful...I felt like I was digging myself to death from scratching. I can feel her pain...but it will all be worth it for a baby!!

Candace said...

My friend got it when she was pregnant with her first(and only, so far) child. She would agree with all of these ladies... it was no fun at all. I do not believe that it lasted the whole pregnancy, but not sure about it. Will be praying for your sister!

ashley said...

It's rare that it happens that early in a pregnancy but obviously does happen. What's even more rare is when it happens post-partum, which happened to me. I got it 8 weeks after having my daughter and I had it for almost four months. It was so awful and itchy that I would just sit there and sob because it was so bad. My case is being published in one of the medical journals because no known cases of PUPPP had been reported so late post-partum. I would have rather went through the twelve excrutiating hours of labor that I had with my daughter than go through that horrible rash. A lot, a lot of steriods helped to clear it up. Hope your sister gets some relief.

The Wilson's said...

I had this for a couple of weeks, very early in my pregnancy too!

Stephanie said...

I've had a few friends that got it and they say its miserable :(
Two of them it wasnt their first pregnancy and there was only one baby!
Praying thats good news for her that she is having pregnancy symptoms..thats a good sign!

Kalle said...

I've never heard of it but multiples??? so exciting if it was. Hope everything goes smoothly for her here on out.

The Beaver Bunch said...

I got several cases of hives with my pregnancy with my twins (my 2nd pregnancy). Early on, like before 24 weeks). But it wasn't on my abdomen but on my legs and thighs.

Crazy itchy. I took benadryl and it seemed to help.