Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Stroller Saga

Strollers, strollers, strollers. Strollers have been consuming my thoughts ever since Sunday..

Lets rewind. Recently, we started using our Graco stroller more often. We purchased a travel system; infant carrier and full size stroller. We used the infant seat and a Snap and Go for the majority of the time. A few weeks ago, we put the Snap and Go away and started popping the infant seat in the stroller. I noticed how difficult it was to push. It was impossible to push with one hand and very hard with two. I was getting frustrated and dreading taking it to Disneyworld. I asked Tom to try it out and sure enough, he said it was hard to push.

So, I call the store. Explain the situation..its on our registry, bought wayyy back before Trev was even born, came as a set, we've used infant seat for 4+ months, used stroller 4-5 times, etc. The man tells me to come in and let the stroller team check it out.

Sunday, we brought it in. The guy takes one look at the wheels. He says, "Yep, its defective and we just discontinued this one." Crap. For a few minutes there, he didn't seem like he wanted to help us. He called another manager over and they offered to take it back and give us store credit. I asked how it will work because its a travel system. He said they would figure out the price of the stroller itself and give us that. I was happy to hear it.

We go to the front and another woman helps us. She says they have to take both pieces since they will return them to Graco together. Okay, we can do that. Uh-oh, how do we get Trevor home?


Lots of debating and quick thinking led us to Toys R Us a block down, buying the carseat already put together. (which was used once and returned) We buckle that in, drive back to bbbaby go back to the woman. I asked if I could simply get a credit to come back another day because it was crowded and I wasn't sure what I wanted. She agreed and now I have $$$ to spend. Oh, and I have no infant seat and no big stroller! And I am on a time crunch as we leave for FL in less than 3 weeks.
We do have a Combi stroller that is our light, umbrella-ish stroller. We love it so far! Were not concerned about the infant seat. Trevor was close to being out of his for good, as it only went to 22 lbs. I plan on borrowing my sisters seat for FL, so we dont have to lug around a big convertible seat. We will worry about an infant seat later..

I am thinking I should get a stroller that can be used for one or two children. We hope to have another child soon and I don't see the point of paying a lot of money for a nice stroller and having a panic when we need a double. I researched a bunch online and think I found the winner:



Isn't she a beaut? I LOVE it! Its the Baby Jogger City Select! Oh, it gets better. Here are a few ways she can adapt to make your life simple: Note-There are 16 ways to change it up!



My #1 favorite option? Baby faces Mama! I just love that. I freakin' waited forever for this darn kid. I want to stare at him instead of the back of his head!! I also love that itll work great for now and I can just buy the second seat when the time comes. The basket is huge, another perk.

This is a huge purchase and I want to be sure of it. I emailed a blogger friend and got amazing feedback from her! Thanks, Stacie, you make me want it more! I plan on going to the store with kids in tow so I can test all ages in it. Delaney is 4, Tyler is 16 months and of course, Trevor is 4 months. If they are all happy and comfortable, I am walking out an owner of a baby Cadillac. :)

I sound totally convinced, I know. BUT, I wanted to see if anyone else had suggestions. I looked at the Phil and Ted buggys but Tom isn't a fan of the bottom child staring at the back of seat. Am I missing another great brand? Or did I find the greatest stroller of all time and should totally go buy it tomorrow??


PS-What would I do without you guys?

12 comments:

Saffy said...

Hi, that does look like a nice stroller! I live in the land of Phil and Ted but I didn't buy one either for that exact reason. It's a bit yucks having your kid down that low. We have a Maclaren MX3 which we love and it has a great optional toddler seat but I just checked and it's not sold in the US. Grrr.

I reckon go with that foxy one - you're already in total love :)

Its A Corny Life... said...

I was sold on the Phil and Teds too, until I test drove this one. First off...Brian hit his knees on the jump seat of the P&T, so he didn't love it (although he is 6'3"), and secondly, when I put Abby in the jump seat, she actually hit her head on the seat in front of her when she leaned even slightly forward. Hence...we ended up with the "Cadillac" and love it. The fact is (at least according to our salesperson), that the P&T is NOT a double stroller...rather a stroller and a half. My biggest worry with the City Select was manuevering through tight restaurant spaces and such, but so far, we haven't had a problem. The trick is, with 2 babies, to keep the infant seat up top and bigger baby in the front. It makes for the shortest version of the stroller.

Tamara said...

We have the same brand double stoller- Baby Jogger City Mini...it was very expensive but we LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it! Most importantly my kids love it as well...I heard that Baby Jogger stollers were easy to get around, easy to collapse and very comfy for the kids....I checked it out and sure enough the reviews I read were right on....I can easily do a huge grocery trip with both kids in tow...one hand handles the doubel stroller and the other gets to pull the grocery cart! The one you are looking at looks amazing! Good luck!

Alicia said...

Everyone makes the travel system stroller mistake with their first kid. Luckily you could get out of yours with a refund, most of us were not so lucky! We are on child number 3 and I have discovered that as far as strollers are concerned...you get what you pay for. We have a Maclaren Twin Triumph and a Double BOB. Both were pricey, but we love them!

christa said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile but this is the first time commenting!!! Go with this stroller!! We thought the Phil and Teds was wonderful until we had it about 3 months. It is horriable to put a baby in the second seat and is even worse as they got older. It was really the only option when we bought it for anything other then a double wide!! Too many options now to settle for Phil or Ted!!!

grace said...

I'm eager to see how you like this. I'm giving up on my combi, and not a fan of pushing my huge double travel system, so I'm in the research stage still.

Also, both my little ones gave up on the bottle. One at around 4 months, one at 2. And, neither picked it back up. I ended up going with a straw sippy at about 6 months for my oldest, and my other one didn't do any sort of sippy until she was older. grrr....

Fiamma said...

i hate the baby on the bottom in the P&T- breathing in all the dust and dirt from the street... it's just gross and i am not a germ-a-phob!
i live in NYC where the BUgaboo ( which I am totally in love with) and the P&T are totally huge. but haven't yet seen the "Cadillac". Mckmama (mycharmingkids.net) has an awesome double stroller: sort of like this one... but can't remember the name...
anyway, I would go with this one!
Let us know what you decide!
I love LOVE strollers( i know, I'm kind of weird!)
your baby, BTW- is adorable! I want to kiss those cheeks. will you kiss him for me tonight?!

Vicki said...

http://celebritybabies.people.com/2010/03/28/review-baby-jogger-city-select/

that review may help you. been helping my sister in law look at potential strollers online lately...

JB said...

We sold our Chicco system and bought a Baby Jogger City Mini. It is awesome! Love it, folds up in a second and takes up very little space. We' just traveled with it for the first time and it was perfect, controls with one hand easily. I don't think you cna go wrong, their new line is amazing.

Baby Wanted said...

Great post! I have been wondering about strollers and you have me sold on this brand and it sounds like your readers agree! Thank you!

Tiffany said...

GREAT... now you make me want a new stroller. hehehe :-)

Olivia Princess said...

Congratulations for making it successfully! you are now savoring the fruit of your hard works and labors of your focus and dedications.
click here