Sunday, November 29, 2009

NICU Stay

The last post was about the facts of the labor and delivery. I didn't touch much on the emotional aspect. I have to say, I have never felt so proud of an accomplishment. That's what I feel 24 hours of labor was.. It was long and exhausting, but I can not wait to go through it again. and again. and again. :)
After our sweet Trevor was taken to the NICU, we had a bit of time before we could go see him. Tom gathered our stuff as I began to feel my lower half again. I was placed into a wheelchair and off we went.
We entered the NICU, and were taken to a corner and saw this:

Talk about breaking out hearts! It was so hard to see him with cords attached and an IV in his teeny hand. See his footprints above? Yep, they had to put them on the card sideways because his feet are so big! Anyway, we were able to hold him and I tried feeding him. He had no interest whatsoever. I was really worried his NICU stay would hurt his chances for breastfeeding.


The nurse let us watch as he had his first bath. All I kept thinking was..I should be giving him his first bath. I should be changing his diapers. I should be holding his without cords attached! I felt helpless.

Looking handsome and clean


We left the NICU and headed to our room. We kind of sat down and thought-Now what? We were on the Mother/Baby floor..with no baby. We made phone calls, returned messages, etc. I was running on pure adrenaline. Soon, the pain began. My tailbone was in excruciating pain. Every time I sat or moved positions, OUCH! I began pumping Wednesday afternoon and the lactation consultant was impressed with how much colostrum I was getting. We would go back and forth to the NICU as often as possible. We were not allowed in during the three shift changes for 30-45 minute increments. They told me to skip breastfeeding the rest of the day and try again tomorrow. Some family came in the evening. We were allowed two adults at a time, one being Tom or myself. Somehow, we managed to stay up the entire day and finally went to bed after midnight.
Thursday, we got up and slowly got ready to spend time with our baby. I was moving very slow. Finally around 9:30am, Tom wheeled me down to the NICU only to be turned away. Turns out, we were not allowed in while the Dr. did rounds, which was 8-11:30 am. We went back to our room like sad puppy dogs. We went in right at 11:30 with the lactation consultant and I nursed Trevor for the first time. He did a great job, I was beaming with pride. The nurse came by and told us that Trevor was doing wonderful and could be discharged the following day.

We went back to our room to eat and relax. Shortly after, we tried to return to the NICU and were told to give them 15 minutes. We figured it was another shift change and went back to our room. 20 minutes later, we tried again and they said come back. Tom asked the woman why they were turning us away and she said they were giving him a new IV and the Nurse would call us when she could. Tom could hear him screaming. We went back to our room and didn't talk at all. We couldn't figure out what went wrong in the short amount of time we were away. We felt sick to our stomaches not knowing what happened. FINALLY, an hour and a half later, a Nurse called. She said his IV in his hand fell out and they tried multiple times to get it back in. When that didn't work, they had to call a head nurse and she put one in his head. Sigh. We were sad he went through that, but so thankful it wasn't another issue. We were upset they didn't tell us that in the first place. We practically ran back to the NICU to see Trevor.

Friday we woke up and were SO excited to be leaving the hospital. We visited Trevor after the doctor did rounds and packed our bags. We met with a Nurse, who gave us minimal instructions on how to care for him. Thank goodness we know babies! My doctor came in and checked me out. She gave me a prescription for my tailbone and said if the pain persisted to get an x-ray. Around 2 pm, our miracle was released to us..no cords, no IVs, just a little baby we couldn't wait to cuddle!



I cant put into words how amazing it felt to get him out of the NICU. We felt pangs of guilt and sadness for the other babies that weren't being released that day. It made us that much more thankful for our little guy.



We arrived home around 3 and the fun really began..

20 comments:

Mandy said...

I cannot imagine how scary that must have been. What strength you and your husband have to have gotten through that! So happy for you that he is healthy and home!

jenn said...

so glad he was able to come home with you guys! hes such a doll@

Young, Married, and Pregnant said...

Maybe I missed it but why exactly did he have to stay in the NICU? Did they ever tell you? Poor little guy. So glad it was nothing to serious and you were all able to go home relatively soon.

Jenni said...

Erin, he is adorable... glad he is healthy and at home. Being a NICU mama myself (unexpectedly when i was induced at 41 weeks) i know the emotions involved. I bet this was one of your best thanksgivings ever :)
PS loved the pic of Tom with the Boppy :)

Katie said...

He is precious and I am so glad that he is all better now! When my God daughter was born over 2 years ago, she was born with Pneumonia and ended up spending a week in the hospital before she was able to go home. She also had to have an IV in her head and I remember how scary that was.

Hope you all had a wonderful first Thanksgiving!

Sue said...

Oh he is so cute! What a story, glad it has such a nice ending.

Stace said...

I'm so happy for you and so happy he's home and so happy he got to have such a short NICU stay (though I know it was no where near your plans!). I completely agree with you-- no matter how tiring labor/delivery was, I cannot wait to go thought it again. And again. And again. :) It's the best exhausting thing ever! Can't wait to read more about your little man.

Joy said...

Oh my that NICU experience did sound scary! I'm SO glad he's home now!

Nicole said...

What an ordeal, I can't imagine how heartwrenching a NICU stay would be. Glad he came home so soon though and is in good health! Thanks for the congratulations! :)
Congratulations yourself! Your baby boy is such a handsome little guy!

beth ewing said...

he is so precious. i cannot get over how big he looks for a newborn.

Kelly said...

Erin, I am sorry you had to experience the NICU at all. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Chase was in there 2 weeks and it was the hardest two weeks ever! I am glad he is perfect and home with you guys! I hope mommy-hood is treating you great, with as much sleep as possible! He is adorable! What a beautiful miracle!! When you are ready to change your blog, to add Trevor, let me know, I would love to do it for you!

LucieP said...

He has beautiful skin!! I'm so glad that NICU experience is behind you!

Sounds like you stayed true in trying to keep an open mind in exchange for a healthy baby!

Mrz. Hannah Myhre said...

Glad that everything is well with baby trevor:) He is such a handsome little guy!!!

Allison said...

You look like such a proud Mama! Poor baby having to get an iv in his sweet little head! I'm so glad he's home safe and sound now! I can't wait to hear more!

Kami said...

I get teary eyed every single post. I am so proud of you. I am so sorry you had to go through that but so thankful he wasn't in there too long. He is absolutely adorable and you looked amazing for just having a baby!

Kami

The Rileys said...

Thank you for sharing your story. We are so glad that everything turned out so well. You guys look great as a FAMILY.

I know Tom is busy, but I am starting "Daddy Blogging Wedesdays" where us Daddys get to post something on the blog. I put some information on our blog and would love for Tom to join in the fun. www.peytonspier.blogspot.com.

Congrats again.

Baby Wanted said...

Poor little guy. It breaks my heart to read about his NICU stay and to read about how helpess you two felt. I'm so glad he is home, safe and sound in his mommy and daddies arms!

twondra said...

Thank you for sharing so much. I can't imagine the pain you go through with seeing your baby like that. It's horrible for me watching Mark in the hospital hurting and he's a grown adult...I can't imagine it being my baby. You're so strong. (((HUGS)))

Suzanne said...

I'm sorry you guys had such an experience with the NICU. As you know, my twins were born at 32 1/2 weeks and were in the NICU for a little over 2 weeks. While it was hard to go through, I can't say enough about the nurses and doctors we dealt with. They are truly special people. Your pictures bring back such memories.
Glad Trevor is doing fine now and that all are home and healthy.

Mike and Katie said...

I hope nursing it going well for you. It's hard to have such a rough start. We ran into similar issues with being kicked out of the nursery when we adopted Christiana. We ariived at the hospital for the first time right at shift change or rounds or something, but thankfully the hospital social worker got them to let us in to see the baby and told us to stay until they kicked us out. They gave us a little extra time, so that was nice.

It was so hard to leave her in the care of the hospital workers! I couldn't wait until we were the ones in charge of her care. That came soon enough!