Monday, November 23, 2009

Birth Story

Nearly two weeks have flown by..I think its time for the birth story.

First off, I must say the Monday before my induction was such a great day. I soaked up every last second of that big 'ol belly. All day I couldn't stop thinking things like-This is my last pregnant shower. This is my last time driving for a while. This is the last time I will feel his hiccups. I was on cloud nine knowing I would meet my long-awaited son the next day. Or so I thought..

After very little sleep on my end, Tom and I woke up and loaded the car. We were told to be at the hospital between 7:30 and 8 am. You better believe we arrived a bit before 7:30. We were so ready to get the party started! Tom and I passed the NICU on the way to Labor and Delivery. Tom said, "Well, at least we wont be spending time in there." I touched my belly and replied, "Yep, this boy is fully cooked." Oh, the irony..

We checked in and were taken right to our room. It happened to be the same room both Delaney and Tyler were born in. In fact, my first nurse was the nurse that helped deliver Tyler a year ago. Anyway, I got into my gown and was able to leave my bra on. I really don't like the feeling of not wearing one and luckily Nurse Lori said I could keep it on. Tom and I couldn't wipe the huge grins off our faces. I knew I had a long road ahead of me, but I was so ready.

Last belly shot-40W3D

The Soon-to-be Daddy

By 8:00 I was hooked up to the IV and external monitors. At 8:20, Nurse Lori began my pitocin at level 2. At 9:00 am, my doctor came in to check me. Unfortunately, I was still only 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Much to my surprise, she broke my water at the same time. Because she broke my water, she placed an internal monitor on Trevor. That was taped to my leg until right before pushing. Nothing came out for a while and then it was gush after gush after gush. I had to hold a towel between my legs if I was anywhere but the bed. At 11:00 I had a popsicle, the only thing I ate during labor, and my pitocin was upped to 10. Each time the pitocin level was adjusted, it went up by 2. She did this roughly every 30-45 minutes. By 12:30, I could feel the contractions more and moved to the birthing ball. I believe this is when I realized I was having back labor. Tom would massage my lower back as hard as he could.

Toms mom and sisters came by to visit in early afternoon. We warned them it was going to be a long process, but they wanted to show their support. Plus, Stefi enjoyed being taken out of school early. :)

At 2:00 I was checked again and was horrified when she said I had no change. The Nurse said they were having trouble putting me into labor enough to change my cervix. When I was checked this time, they placed an internal contraction monitor next to his head, which was supposed to help get the level of pitocin right. That was painful. At 2:30, my pitocin level was 22. I did not enjoy going to the bathroom attached to an IV, two internal monitors and while leaking fluids.

I was feeling much stronger contractions after they put the pitocin level up. Until this point, I was very good at switching positions. I used the birthing ball, rocking chair, layed on both sides in the bed, etc. When the contractions became stronger, the only comfortable position for me was to stand, lean forward on the back of a chair and rock back and forth. Tom would massage my back and we tried rotating hot and cold on it.

At 4:00, the internal contraction monitor fell out and I was dreading them putting it back in. Thankfully, Nurse Lori said they finally got the pitocin right and we could use the external monitor again. Yay! My highest level of pitocin was 26-which is extremely high! They checked me at 6pm and I was a whopping 2cm dilated and 80% effaced.

My mom and sister were in the room in the late afternoon/early evening and I didn't mind it. In fact, I wasn't an irritable woman in labor. We brought a Friends season to play and watched that all day. I was never bothered by people talking or Tom eating. In fact, I was smitten by Tom the whole time. He was the greatest coach and so supportive. I never wanted him to leave my side.

Getting back on track..after standing for hours and hours and realized how tired and achy my body was, I assessed the situation. The bottom line was, I knew I had many hours of labor ahead of me and if I didn't get some rest soon, I wasn't going to be able to push him out. I did not want to end up with a C-section after all we had been through. So, I decided to get an epidural.

Belly with no fluid..so tiny!

The epidural was placed at 7:30 pm. I didnt think it was painful at all. I did, however, find it obnoxious to have another cord attached to me. I felt relief pretty quickly and it definitely sped things up. I was checked at 8pm and was 3.5 cm's dilated and a catheter was placed. My contractions were 2.5-3 minutes apart. Our families went home and we were told to call them when I was 9 cm's. We tried to get some rest, but it was nearly impossible.

I did my best to move while immobile from the belly down. I rolled from side to side every 30 minutes. When I say rolled..I really mean I would try to help Tom move me. It was so hard to get comfortable while attached to so much. I was checked again at 10:00pm and was 4cm's. Nurse Lori went home at 11pm and we got our night nurse. So much for our 11-10-09 baby!

I was checked at 2am and was 6.5 cm's and was told his head really moved down. We slept in little 20 minute increments, between the nurse coming in to take my blood pressure, temperature, etc. Somewhere around this time is when it happened..pressure. Oh, the pressure. I'm not sure which part of labor was more intense; the back labor before the epidural or the pressure that came later. Regardless, it was beyond painful. Turns out, Trevor was turned funny and putting all his weight on my back/tailbone. Even an epidural cant help that.

At 4:15, I was 8-9cm dilated. Unfortunately, we found out I had a fever of 100.6. No wonder I finally slept for 40 minutes straight! The nurse left to let the doctor know and to get me antibiotics. Shortly after she did that, I started to feel ill. I had a headache and just felt crappy. Trevor was hanging on strong this entire time, never showing a single issue.

My mom and sister came quickly and hung in the room with us. I was in such intense pain, all I could do was close my eyes and try not to watch the clock. At 5:45, I was 9.5 cm dilated and almost 100% effaced. She said I had a little bit of cervix I needed to get rid of before I could start pushing. My body did not agree with that and I had to fight the urge to push. Out of nowhere, I felt nauseous and told Tom I was going to puke. Sure enough, 2 seconds later, I vomited in 3 basins. So much for re-applying my makeup before I met my son..


From 6-7:30am, I was checked numerous times and kept being told "just a little bit longer." 7am is the shift change, so I was given another nurse and another doctor from my practice. Thankfully, it was my other fave doc! The new nurse was great. She was reassuring, letting me know that he was so low and I wouldn't have to push for long. FINALLY, at 7:40 am, we kicked everyone out and I started pushing. Pushing was a total out of body experience and by far the best part of the labor. There were no stirrups, no counting. I held my legs, Tom held one and the nurse held the other. I pushed as long as I wanted. It was wonderful. I did one set with the nurse and could immediately feel his head. I pushed for about six sets and at 8:18 am, Trevor Michael was welcomed into the world.

Much to our shock, Trevor did not cry immediately and had to be taken to the incubator, rather than placed on my chest. I did not cry when I saw him. I was in complete survival mode-I wanted to know what was wrong with my baby. Tom was very emotional, it was the sweetest thing. I kept my eyes locked on Trev as she delivered the placenta and stitched me up. One stitch, that is.




They checked Trevor out and said they wanted to give him a 48 hour antibiotic in the NICU because of my fever and his very low grade fever. There was talk of a chest x-ray and other tests that needed to be done. They wrapped him up and said we could have 30 minutes with him before he was taken. Tom and I loved on our boy for about 10 minutes before our Moms and sisters came in, not knowing there was anything wrong. He was whisked away far too quickly and we were told to relax and we could go to the NICU soon..

I'm going to cut this off here, because you know that Trevor is now 100% healthy. I will post about our NICU stay soon!

22 comments:

Sue said...

Oh wow Erin, thanks for the details. What a trooper you are! Great birth story and sooooooooooo glad he is so perfectly healthy!!!

Angela said...

I agree...what a trooper. I am so impressed at how you kept your head, assessed the situation and made the decision for epidural. Way to go! So happy your little man is okay. I always felt smitten by my hubby during labor too. :-)

Were you going to share your circ/non-circ decision or have you decided to keep that personal...totally understandable of course.

Congrats again on a job well done and on that beautiful baby!

Joy said...

I can attest to the pressure! I'm so glad Trevor is perfect and healthy!!!

Meant to be a mom said...

Wow what a birth story. I've heard of back labor and how miserable it is. I'm so happy you both made it out safely. Can't wait to hear the next part.

☆ Loren ☆ said...

BOOOO for posts with no pics!!! This is no longer allowed Erin!! Blogger better learn to cooperate! :)

Gill said...

Erin - you are incredible! So glad you are both home and safe.xx

Melinda said...

So thankful for a happy ending!! Thanks for sharing your story!

Mike and Katie said...

You are such a trooper! That was a long process. I'm glad you are all okay after all that.

katie

The Patterson's said...

Sounds like such an experience. Thank you so much for sharing...I think it makes me more prepared.

hopefuls #1 said...

So well written and with so much emotion... I love blogs! This will forever be a memory of your little one... can't wait for the rest!

Love the bits you added about your hubby and how caring he was during the whole thing!!!

williamson family said...

So glad to hear that everything turned out well. I too had back labor and because Kyah was posterior I had that tailbone pain you were talking about. It was SO miserable. You looked great in your pictures! I can't wait to hear the NICU story (When you have time). Being a mommy is so amazing. Enjoy it!

Laura said...

Thanks so much for sharing! What a great story!! And Hello! You look great in your pictures!! :)

Dianne said...

Wow thanks for sharing!!! So glad you are all home - happy and healthy!!

Stace said...

I love it. You look great! :) Can't wait to hear more about your little one! (And I love the picture with his ink-covered feet!)

Brooke said...

You are such an amazing mother! Congrats to the big, healthy and beautiful baby boy!

Carol said...

He is so amazingly adorable. And so nice and filled out. I'm glad everything turned out okay in the end even though it didn't quite go according to plan. But, safety and health is the name of the game!And, I think he looks just like you, Erin.

Mush said...

Wicked birth story. So happy that things turned out so well.

Hope being a Mummy is everything you thought it would be and more.

Can't wait for the next instalment.

xxx

twondra said...

You are a trooper! Thanks for sharing!!!

Sue said...

Love the pics!!!!!!!

MOM said...

Great story and beautiful baby! Congrats again and enjoy every day....

jenn said...

oh yea! thanks for sharing your birth story! all the little details were great!
its making me realize i dont have much time and i will be posting mine!
im glad things ended up well! cant wait for more updates and pics!
happy thanksgiving!

Ashley said...

Great post Erin!! Love all the details!! I'm so happy for ya'll!!