Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Small World

Tonight was our fourth birthing class. I cant believe next week is our last. I am SO glad we decided to take the class, even though most people told me it was a waste. Knowledge is power and I am glad to be informed! Ill likely post a birth plan and more info about this after next weeks class. More on that later..

Our instructor mentioned her background in the first class and she stated that she had worked with infertility. Since then, Ive been trying to make an opportunity to talk with her, but not in front of everyone else. Today, we got back early from our bathroom break and I asked her if she knew of any statistics of people getting pregnant after having IF with their first. She said, "Well, it happened to me!" I was totally surprised! Turns out, she had a failed IVF cycle, followed by one resulting in her now 3 year old son. Then, she had another failed IVF cycle, followed by a natural positive resulting in her 1 year old son. I often hear stories of women getting pregnant naturally after using fertility treatments. Its nice to hear another story of success. It also made me look at her in a different light the rest of the class. Oh, infertility. How I loathe and love you..

Continuing with the topic, it turns out our maternity photographer also went through IVF. A few weeks ago, I was still trying to find a photographer and wasn't finding many sites with examples of maternity shoots. I made a little list of ones I wanted to contact and only ended up making the time to send out one email. I wrote that I really had high expectations for these pictures, since we had been waiting so long for this baby. She responded telling me how she totally understood because she had her son through IVF. My goodness, if that wasn't a match made in heaven, I don't know what is! Our pictures are scheduled for this Saturday. I really look forward to meeting her and seeing what she does. I know she will look at my stomach as a miracle, as we do!

Bottom line-infertility is everywhere. I am not ashamed of what we went through. In fact, I enjoy opening peoples eyes. Ill admit, I used to think people who went through treatments ended up in high order multiples and waited too long to have kids. I had no idea how many young, healthy couples need assistance to get pregnant. I still cant believe we went through what we did. But, here we are. And I'm proud of our journey.

Here's a quick 34 week belly shot. Its..huge, I know.

16 comments:

Angelwingsbaby said...

Wow how cool is that to have had an opportunity to have others that know where you have been and how much this means to you, be the ones to end up coming into your life at this moment when it can be so comforting!((hugs))

Cin said...

Hi Erin,

Still quietly reading your blog and waiting for the little Bean to arrive.

I had to share this with you. My 11 year old daughter asked me who's website it was and I said it was a ladies blog that I was following. The promptly said, "Are you stalking her?" (snicker)

No, I'm not but still enjoying reading your blog,

Cin

Melinda said...

I've been a lurker for quite some time now but had to comment on this one! My husband and I suffered through infertility for 2 1/2 years (we did one round of treatments) before moving on to adoption. BEST decision for us and we were blessed with our daughter Crista. Fastforward another 2 1/2 years, and I find out that I'm pregnant! No treatments, no intervention. We weren't even trying! So it can, and does, happen!! Can't wait to see BOTH of our miracles!

Blessing,
Melinda

Allison said...

I hope I look half as good as you when I hit 34 weeks!

Meant to be a mom said...

you look absolutely adorable with your round belly. I'm so glad you have maternity pics set up. It will be so much fun, I can't wait to see them.
I know exactly what you mean about the whole infertility loving loathing thing. It takes strong special people to go through what we've all been through. I think God chose us for a reason. He knew it would only make us stronger in marraige and in all we do in our future. Its amazing what we can go through and come out stronger.

Joy said...

Would love to see your birth plan and what you're expecting for this little one's birth!!! It's getting so close now.

Sue said...

Oh you are all belly!! Too cute! And yes, you have opened eyes about infertility on your blog too.

Stephanie said...

What a small world! I love that you found someone that you feel you can connect with. Can't wait to see the pics :)

k8tie said...

Hi Erin,

Good luck with your photo shoot! You'll have to let me know how it turns out - hopefully I'll be needing a maternity photographer in our area in the near future too!! Your latest belly shot is adorable!

:) Katie

Laura said...

You make me want to have like 5 more kids! you look adorable with your cute belly!!!

Laura

WantWait&Pray said...

That is very cool! I always think it's awesome to connect with fellow IVF'ers! Can't wait to see the maternity pics! You're getting SO CLOSE!!!

twondra said...

It always amazes me hearing how "common" IF is. It's nice to find others who have been through it too.

Bryan and Leslie Clark said...

Hi Erin,
I just found your blog and I too live in a suburb of Chicago. My husband and I have been TTC for close to one year are about ready to go to the doctor again. Would you mind sharing your doctor's name and any advice that you have?

Leslie
leslie.clark@hotmail.com

Brooke said...

That is such a sweet belly picture!!!! Big...But ONLY in the belly! I wish I looked that good that pregnant. Oh...I never made it that far! Ha!!

Sarah said...

I recently discovered your blog and I can't tell you how encouraging your story is! Dealing with infertility is a hard and emotional thing to deal with, and it amazes me how many couples are struggling with it (My husband and I included!!). Thanks for sharing your journey!

Sarah

Heather said...

You look great!