Thursday, August 20, 2009

Team Blue

Tom and I had gone back and forth about getting the 3D ultrasound done. We wanted to see the baby again, but knew we could have put the extra $100 toward something more important. I finally said lets do it. I told him we may regret it if we dont, but we wont regret it if we have it done. Little did I know..

Tuesday night was our appointment. Along for the show were my mom, Toms mom, Braydon and Delaney. We were all very excited to see what she looked like. We go in the room and I sit on the table. Everyone else takes their seats facing the big screen. As mentioned, the tech asked if we knew the sex. I said yes, lets confirm it. She moves the wand on my belly for about 10 seconds and says, Its a boy, right? I looked at her and said, "WHAT, NO!" She thought I was joking. We all let out a gasp. There he was..in all his glory. Fully.."equipped." I have never been so shocked in my life. We went back and forth..telling her when we were told she was a girl and she just couldn't believe it. She showed us that he was in fact a boy in about 10 different angles..and then in 3D.

Although it was hard to get over the shock, we soaked up the rest of the time staring at our precious baby. Let me tell you, he is PERFECT! What a little cutie. He is laying across, like I thought, with his head on the right. That's whats jamming into my ribs. :) We saw feet, fingers, his heart, etc. He yawned a few times and has now been given the nickname of Little Lion. I just kept saying, "He is lucky he is cute!" and "What a stinker!"

We left and made similar phone calls to the ones made 2 months ago. This time, people thought we were joking or simply couldn't believe it.

I have experienced a wide range of emotions since that night. More than anything, I am happy we are blessed with a precious, healthy baby. That is whats most important.

I have felt sad at times. Part of me feels like our little girl was taken away. For 2 months, I have fallen madly in love with a baby girl..that never really existed. I feel like this is a whole new pregnancy. I am also sad for Delaney. We have been telling a 3.5 year old that she is finally getting her girl cousin around her 4th birthday. Instead, she will get another boy in her life. Although, I know she will love him the same.

My to-do list has grown by a mile. Our girl had so many necessities already. We have to start from scratch. Our first shower is next Friday. We will be re-registering tonight and Sunday. On top of it all, this baby has no name. Let the great name debate begin..

We will keep the majority of the girl stuff. Little Lion will have a baby sister named Hadley Elizabeth, no doubt about it. My case of I-cant-stop-thinking-of-baby-#2 has gotten worse. Now that Ive had a taste of what its like to have a daughter, I cant wait until we really do.

Bottom line. We are still shocked. It is slowly wearing off. We are not disappointed in any way, shape or form. We have a beautiful baby boy on the way and we couldn't be happier!

..It just would have been nice to know two months ago..

30 comments:

twondra said...

Wow! Unbelievable! I can see how it would be a little hard to let go of your "daughter". It's a good story to tell. :) :)

Beth said...

you will LOVE having a boy! Congrats!

Gina said...

Lurker here...I still can't believe it! You always hear about these things happening but never really experience it. Blessings to you guys.

Brooke said...

The opposite happened to me! I was told boy and then he turned into a she! I love my daughter more than I ever thought possible and yes it took a while to get over the shock but you will love your son the same!

williamson family said...

I'm so glad that you guys are doing well. That is a big "change of plans" to try and get accustom to so quickly, but I know that God has amazing plans for this little Lion! You are truly blessed and I am So happy for you!

I'm also glad that you are able to re-register and still end up with everything you will need (and more).

Praying for you guys continuously!

Allison said...

I am still so shocked that no one caught that little "detail" sooner!!!! But Im so glad the shock is gone and you are just as happy! Great idea to keep Hadley's things for your future Hadley girl! I absolutely LOVE her name and Im excited to hear what boy name you come up with to name her big brother! haha :) Congratulations!

beth ewing said...

boys are awesome! i can't imagine what you're feeling but you're gonna love a boy.

Bailey said...

That is crazy! I am glad you guys are taking it so well and realize what a perfect precious baby you are going to have!

Mary said...

OMG, I can't even imagine that! my due date is about week before yours so I can really feel the shock with you...

Jenni said...

WOW that is SO crazy! I can understand what you said about feeling like your little girl was taken away-- i am sure after some time and esp after he is born this will just be a funny memory... looks like it is already starting to be that way. I love having a son! i know you will too. You are right- either way, it's wonderful :) Blessings!

Katie said...

I am still shaking my head about this. Crazy! But good thing you did the extra u/s! I do remember vaguely reading a longggg time ago that you both wanted a boy first... guess you get that, huh?!?! Don't stress too much about your to-do list though, you've got a good 10 weeks to get everything sorted out- and a name picked. :)

Mush said...

Really pleased that you are sounding so positive about it all even though it must have been a huge shock and I'm sure you have bonded with a little girl. I love the nick name Little Lion, adorable!

Can't wait to see pictures of your little man. x

Meant to be a mom said...

What a story, I'm so happy he's healthy and beautiful. You will love him so much I know...

Welcome to the boys club!!!

Sarie Lou said...

at least you found out now and not when he was born! I had friends that were told girl the whole time, name picked out, everything pink, and then he was born and they had nothing planned for a boy! What a shock! Now your future babies will have that Big Brother you wanted for them!

Alyssa said...

WOW. Again. WOW. I would be SHOCKED!!! But, boys are wonderful too. Congrats :) What will you name him knowing it's a boy now?

Megan said...

I haven't been in this situation, but everyone thought my sister was having a girl, and it turned out to be a boy. It took them some time to get over the shock. For me, too, thinking niece and then having a nephew. He is now the absolute light of my life, and such a precious blessing. Can't imagine it any other way. Congrats on your sweet boy!

Ashley said...

I'm so glad you decided to do the 4-d ultrasound!!! I'm still a little shocked;) It will definately be a great story to tell!! ((HUGS)) and congrats on that baby boy!!

The Pifer's said...

Oh my goodness, I have to say I have never ever heard anyone mention the name Hadley before--Zach and I were stuck on 2 names, then one day we heard the name Hadley and we always talked about we might use that as a girls name (given we get pregnant and have a girl) so neat to hear someone else mention that name!!!!! I can't wait to hear your boy names!!!! I have probably 50 billion names I love...so hard to choose just one!

Dianne said...

Wow, that is a huge shock!!!

Meg said...

hahahaha, i know how you feel. It is like having a rug pulled out from under you and landing (very hard) on your bum!!!

Our 2nd one was the culprit. The day of my "find out" U/S the baby was sooooo stubborn. Cause I happened to work at the office, they wouldn't let me leave till we knew! 30 minutes later they made me jump up and down and roll back and forth. Doc finally says "Its a Girl!!" We bought almost everything! Then when I was 30 weeks, we had another scan and she was just looking around. Then the ominous "Oh his penis looks fine too" WHAT?!?!?!? what penis??? I was laughing so hard I was crying and no one and I mean no one believed me when I called to tell them. I had to take the U/S picture every where to try and convince them!!! Congrats on a little boy!! They are awesome!

Sarah said...

Baby boys are soooo sweet and love their Mommas so much!!! Have fun registering ALL OVER again!!!! :)

Its A Corny Life... said...

Wow! Well, they always say that doctors can be wrong. Nonetheless, you are right, healthy is all that matters. Congratulations anyways...and good luck with names. We have always had a easy time with the boy names, it's the girls we struggled with.

Maddy said...

that would stink, having to reregister for everthing!!
maddyforeman@yahoo.com

Stephanie said...

Seriously I am still shocked :) I can't imagine how surprised you guys must be.

I'll tell you though because I have both and I had all 3 of my boys first..there is nothing like a little boy and his momma!!!!

Now for Allie well she's my princess...the sunshine in my day and there's just something about her that makes everything alittle brighter. That's coming for ya...it's fun to have the boys though!!!!

they love their mama's :)

Joy said...

This happened to my brother... except they thought they were having a girl but out came a boy! They had no time to get over the shock and didn't have a name so he became a junior.

I can understand your sadness and it's okay to feel that way! You're not awful or in the wrong. But I also know you guys are probably stoked about having a boy!!! He is a little stinker, hiding like that!

Megs said...

That is crazy!! I have been told so many times lately to be careful that things could always change once you find out. Wow, I just can't even believe it! It would be hard having been told you were having a girl and preparing, when it is actually now a boy. Good luck with everything from here on out!!

**ICLW**

Dan and Gretchen said...

Erin-
I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh when I read this. Your future little girl will be very blessed, but for now ENJOY preparing for your little boy. They are truly a joy and I know you will love every minute of having a son!!!

Congrats!!!

Molly said...

Wow! I am your baby blog swap partner so I guess you need boy things!
The same thing happened to my sister, except they told her it was a boy (her 3rd!) and it is really a girl! We were all so excited!

Peppermint Patty said...

Yay for little boys! (I have a 15 yr old.) :)

At least you know before the shower. I had a shower for my friend who was told she was having a girl. She painted the room pink, she got all pink clothes, etc. Boom! Baby day, she delivered a "Nicholas." :) Thank goodness she didn't take tags off of the clothes and was able to return. ;)

Jessica said...

I found your blog through another infertility blog. First of all congrats on getting pregnant.
My friend had the same thing happen to her except wasn't lucky enough to find out her "daughter", who was oddly enough going to be named Hadley Elizabeth, was a boy until HE was born!! I can't imagine how shocking that must be. She ended up have her Hadley Elizabeth 2 years later!! Good luck with your baby boy!!