Monday, July 6, 2009

St. Petersburg General

Where do I begin?

How do I put in words the amount of worry, helplessness and stress we have been through the past few days?

Oh yeah, you girls get it. :)

So, I had posted about having indigestion. It all started last Monday night. I called my doctor Wednesday and she agreed that's what it sounded like. She suggested Tums and Mylanta. I mentioned I was going out of town and she didn't see a problem.

Our flight was at 7am on Thursday. We woke at 4:30 to get there in time. We giggled as each step of our day went so perfectly. You know that scene from Meet the Fockers? It was like that..great flight, first bag off the belt(I ended up checking one), walking out to see a shuttle just pulling up, etc. We were waiting for our hiccup..

We got our rental car and continued our adventure. We had to find the location where Toms test was being held. We did so and had about 2 hours until he needed to be there. Of course, there wasn't much around..no Target, no mall, just odd shops and a movie theatre. At this point, I'm still feeling great. I purposely didn't eat much in fear of the pain or drink much so I wouldn't have to pee while on the plane! We wasted time and I ended up walking a bit and then lounging in the car. Luckily he was out of there quickly and passed with 91%! By then, I was exhausted and starting to feel sick.

We stopped by the condo quickly and then headed to Walmart. I wanted to get my nails done before our big photo shoot that night. I had spoken with the photographer earlier, as she was concerned about the weather. I was still hoping it would work out. Tom got some groceries while I got a manicure and pedicure. I was feeling pretty crappy..a huge headache decided to join my symptoms. We went back to the condo, Tom went in the pool and I just layed there watching tv. I didn't want to sit up, eat, talk, anything. I was desperately trying to get rid of the headache. I took Tylonel, drank a Pepsi, had a wash cloth on my forehead, tried to fall asleep..nothing was helping. I did speak with the photographer again and had to cancel. I was very, very sad. Part of it was the weather. I didn't want to force myself to get ready, drive 45 minutes and then be poured on. Another part of me felt relieved because I wouldn't have to try and shower!

Tom was starving and ran to Burger King. One bridge was closed so it ended up taking him over 40 minutes. In those 40 minutes, I went from somewhat calm to freaking out. I was trying to search on WebMD, but couldn't get the internet to work. I called my sister and she said I should call my doctor and go to a hospital. I called Tom crying, saying I thought something was wrong. He ran inside, I gained composure and we were off..

I have a very high pain tolerance. I have been told so my entire life. I never would have gone to the hospital if I wasn't pregnant. Plus, I knew they would send me to Labor and Delivery. That is NOT where I wanted to be at 22 weeks pregnant. I was worried about the baby and gave in.

We arrived at about 9:30 pm and sure enough, got sent right up to L & D. I was asked all the typical questions, got in a gown and had the preliminary stuff done. She checked her heartbeat right away, which sounded great. The nurse asked if I had any contractions and I said no. She hooked me up to the monitor and waited a few minutes. I joked that she was trying to kick it off. The nurse says, well, those are not kicks, those are contractions. Uhm, what? I had no idea! She said I was surely dehydrated and that can upset the uterus. She hooked me up to an IV pretty quickly to stop them. The nurse talked to the on-call doctor and he decided to admit me. It truly never crossed my mind that we would be staying there..I would have grabbed my glasses and some socks!

The next issue was my abdominal pain. We knew it wasn't affecting the baby because it was so high. She took some blood and I had a sonogram of the area. Everything major checked out just fine. They moved us to a different room with a bed for my Tommy. Oh Tom, he was one worried Daddy. He was white as a ghost the entire time they were checking me out. He was so glad to hear his girls weren't in any major danger.

We tried to sleep, but it was hard. I had to get up to pee a few times; IV in tow. I likely slept 3 hours total, after sleeping 5 the night before. Luckily, the doctor came in somewhat early to check me out. He said all the important stuff looked good and he didn't want me to spend my vacation in the hospital. He told me to take it easy the rest of the vacation and check with my own doctor upon return.

So, I spent 13 hours in the hospital, and left without many answers...

*Ill continue tomorrow, its my bedtime*

16 comments:

Sue said...

So glad you and peanut are ok! I have been wondering how everything went. Sorry your vacation was sidetracked but happy your lil princess is still cookin :) Thanks for updating.

Foster Mama said...

I'm so glad that you guys are doing fine. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Lauren's College Life said...

Glad you are both ok! Too bad you had to spend time in the hospital but happy everything is ok! :)

☆ Loren ☆ said...

Praying for you and the peanut girly!

Jess said...

I'm sorry you had to spend 13 hours in the hospital but so glad you are both okay in the end!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Just Caz said...

I'm very glad your family is doing okay.
I will keep you all in my thoughts.

twondra said...

So glad you guys are okay! (((HUGS)))

Erin a.k.a. Griffin's Mom said...

I'm glad you're doing better! WHen I saw the poist title Hospital Visit, I was a little scared.

Make sure you take care of yourself these next couple weeks ... it gets hard when there's a lot to do, but it's what's best for you and the baby!

Did you get your pictures taken later?

Staci said...

So glad you are both doing okay. I ended up going to the hospital twice with my 3rd with preterm contractions due to dehydration. NOT FUN! No matter how much you think you are drinking, I guess it's still not enough. Hang in there.

Erin a.k.a. Griffin's Mom said...

I was just thinking the comment I left sounded really bossy and that wan't what I was going for ... I'm sorry! I guess I was getting all motherly :)

Stephanie said...

Wow I had no idea you had been admitted! Praying for you!!!! Hope things are better now :)

Stay put little princess!!!!

Ashley said...

WOW!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that but so glad you are both okay! I didn't know that contractions felt like kicks...that really surprised me!! That's scary!! You're in my thoughts and prayers!! (HUGS))

♥Tabitha said...

Oh wow...what a vacation! I'm glad you and the baby are doing well, you'll be in my prayers!

Dianne said...

Woah scary! I am so sorry that happened to you especially on a vacation! I am glad everything sounds good!!!

Mrs. Hammer said...

Oh you poor thing - you both must have been terrified. I'm so glad to hear you are alright. Get some rest and hopefully your Doc will give you some answers when you get back.

Mush said...

Been waiting for your post. Glad everything checked out and that you were okay to carry on with your holiday. x