Friday, June 12, 2009

Insurance Problems

I had a voicemail this morning and saw it was from the maternal fetal medicine office I am supposed to have my ultrasound at. I presumed it was to confirm my much anticipated appointment for next Friday. Apparently not...

The woman was calling to let me know that they contacted my insurance and Aetna doesn't think a 20 week scan is necessary. Uhm, are you kidding me? This is the scan that they measure every little detail of the baby, right? HOW is it considered elective to check if my child is healthy and growing properly?!

The lady on the phone was very helpful and said to contact my doctors office and try to work this out. I called the there and explained my situation. The girl immediately told me that we would take care of this and that they usually have problems with Aetna. I also made sure she knew that I was an IVF patient. I paid quite a bit for my NT scan, even though they told me it should be covered after going through IVF. Perhaps the insurance company isn't aware of my IVF status..then again, how could they not know?

I am waiting on a call back from them. One option mentioned was going to radiology in the hospital rather than the mat/fet. medicine. I don't care where I go, as long as I see my sweet baby next week!

This whole situation really bothers me. Next thing you know, they will be telling me that a hospital stay after giving birth isnt necessary..

19 comments:

LucieP said...

Oh jeez what is up with that??

I would be dying if I were you!

Allison said...

Don't let it get you down. I'm sure everything will get worked out, especially if that lady told you so.

Meant to be a mom said...

What a bummer, I would be so mad. Insurance is such a pain. They never make anything easy on us.
I hope everything gets worked out.

G & H said...

ugh i hate insurances! They are so crazy why would they even say something so dumb! I'll pray for you and figuring this out!
www.wondrafulbaby.blogspot.com

G & H said...

ugh i hate insurances! They are so crazy why would they even say something so dumb! I'll pray for you and figuring this out!
www.wondrafulbaby.blogspot.com

The Pifer's said...

OH NO! I will be praying sweetie!!!

Saffy said...

What a ridiculous and stressful situation this insurance company is creating. Boohoo them and here's hoping that your doctor's team come up with a stress free, cost free solution. Hang in there - OF COURSE you need a 20 week scan - there's nothing optional about it! :)

Tamara said...

We had the same problem with AETNA with both of my pregnancies. It was so frustrating! Our doctor was great and wrote it as a "concern sono". I think she put down that I was having sharp stomach pains (which I was having sort of.. it was totally just skin stretching).....It is definitely worth asking your OB about..

Joy said...

Oh man that stinks! But I like the commenter Allison's advice. It sounds like your doctor's office is going to make sure you're taken care of!

Stephanie said...

Insurance is such a pain in the butt! Hope you get it all worked out soon!

Jess said...

Seriousely??? Insurance companies are lame! I hope it all works out and you get to see your sweet little baby! I don't know how they can even think you don't need this ultrasound! Big Hugs!

The Palmer Family Blog said...

I have Aetna and it was never any question that I would have a 20-week scan. They should give you one, covered!

twondra said...

I've had to deal with insurance issues so much so I really feel for you sweetie. I hope they are able to work it out. (((HUGS)))

prettybyrdie said...

Not sure if it's the same plan, but I have Aetna and we had to go to a special perinatal diagnostic place for the big ultrasound. Not sure if this was for insurance reasons or just because they have a better machine?

beth ewing said...

i'm pretty sure that the insurance companies job is to make our lives as miserable as possible. they can't do anything the easy way. i say fight. that is the most absurd thing i've ever heard in my life...everyone gets a 20 week ultrasound.

Happily Married said...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with insurance issues. They always know how to mess up such a joyous anticipation don't they? I'll be thinking of you and crossing my fingers that it all gets worked out and the insurance gets a who-and-whatfor talking to for making you go through this. I can't wait to hear what you're having! (And your plans for that night are awesome!!!)

ajc4ever said...

Grrr! Hope this works itself out soon!

Susan Sene said...

My insurance doesn't cover the 20 week scan either. The nurse said it's because used to just be to find out the gender but now they are able to check so many other things too. Insurance companies stink!

Dianne said...

Just one more money fight!! Ugh that must be frustrating!!!!!