Saturday, April 25, 2009

NT Scan

Our NT scan yesterday couldn't have gone any better. I arrived was prepped for my first ever abdominal ultrasound. I couldn't believe how big Peanut has gotten in 3 short weeks.

The baby's heartbeat was fast again-160 bpm. The tech did some measurements and pointed everything out to us. Every time she pressed hard to try and get the baby to move, it practically jumped. It was very active the whole time. At one point it waved one arm back and forth a few times..saying "Hi, Mom and Dad!", of course. I layed there for 45 minutes with the biggest smile on my face. I fell in a much deeper love with our sweet baby..


Waving my arm
There it is again


You can see the mouth and nose here


Lounging with an arm and leg

The point of the ultrasound was to compare the measurements with the results from my blood work a week or so ago. With the NT scan, they are looking for chromosomal abnormalities, mainly Down Syndrome and Trisomy. The doctor said my age alone brought my chances for Downs a ton. Once he factored in the results, he said my chances wouldn't even belong on a standard graph, they were too low. I liked hearing that! He also said our chances for Trisomy are 1 in <10,000.

He invited us back for a 2nd tri anatomy screening in 8 weeks. Guess when that falls..? The Friday before Fathers Day! Our plan has always been to tell our families the sex as a surprise on Fathers Day. So, we told them they couldn't schedule the ultrasound until the Friday after Fathers Day. Plus, I'm so glad its right beforehand, because I doubt I could keep it a secret much longer. I think we are going to get it on a cake and do it that way. Id be open to other suggestions if you have any..?

It still amazes me how much my life has changed in 2 short months. While struggling with infertility, there was a list of horrible days I would never want to re-live. Now, my life consists of days filled with memories I will cherish the rest of my life. Days I have been dreaming of for years. And its really happening..really.

I am 12 weeks today. I will take some good pictures tomorrow at Tyler's baptism.

There is so much more I want to say, but Tom has to hop on to do some homework. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

13 comments:

Ryan and Stuart said...

What a beautiful baby! Congrats on a great NT scan.

Tiffany said...

Congrats on your little peanut.. Dont you love it when they finally "look" like a baby... so exciting!
Tiffany in TN

Hilary said...

So cool that you got to see your peanut "waving"! Glad to hear your scan turned out great and awesome that you will be able to find out the sex in time for Father's Day!

Stephanie RN BSN (to be!) said...

Your little one really looks like a baby now. How exciting for you!

Stephanie said...

I think the cake is a cute idea!!
Peanut looks so cute in those pics!!

Stephanie said...

Awesome pics...and such a beautiful baby! So happy for you!

Mae said...

Congrats on all the good news! Isn't so much fun when they start to look like a baby?! So excited for you!!

ashley said...

The baby looks perfect. I'm glad things are going well for you too. Soon enough you will be able to tell if you got a little boy or girl growing in there!

twondra said...

Love the pictures! It's the cutest peanut ever. :) Thanks for sharing! I can feel your excitement through your words...it's amazing. You're such a great mom already.

Ashley said...

Erin, I 'm SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU:) The little peanut is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't wait to find out what it is...i'm thinking boy!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend;)

Sarah said...

Congrats on the good scan! It just keeps getting better!

Dave and Elaine said...

Awesome!

amanda said...

so beautiful. it is truly amazing isn't it.