Thursday, April 16, 2009

Goodbye Figarro

Onto the cat story. It seems most IF bloggers are major animal lovers, like myself. Ill warn you, its a depressing story..

So, Friday night I am home alone. Tom left 10 minutes earlier to go to the White Sox game. I hear an odd noise and wonder what it is. I go upstairs to find one of the family cats-Figarro, lying on his side and not looking good. I kneel down to asses him. He is breathing funny, not moving and seems to be in pain. I immediatley new there was something terribly wrong. I call the local vet and the girl on the phone completely freaks me out. She asked if he has "open-mouth" breathing. I said yes, his tounge is out a little bit. She said I should get him to the emergency vet as soon as possible. I am trying to stay calm and drive him to the clinic. I called my parents, who were in Wisconsin, on the way. They said to do whatever necessary to see whats wrong with him.

I arrive at the clinic and Fig is whisked out of my arms. I sign a piece of paper stating that it will cost $400-$800 for him to be seen. Holy cow, but okay. I sit and wait and about 10 minutes later am taken into a room. The vet comes in to explain that he has a blocked urethra, which is fairly common for male cats. He was not urinating, so all the bacteria was staying inside his body. She goes on to explain a procedure that would be done. It seemed simple..a cathedar to open the area and some pain meds. She said he will need to stay for observation for 2-3 days.

She leaves and sends in an assistant with the estimate. You wont believe this-$1800-$2400! I am shocked and call my mom to find out what she wants me to do. The only alternate to this would be to put him to sleep. He is only 6 years old and otherwise healthy, so that was out of the question. I cringed as I signed the paper and had to leave a 75% deposit for them to start the meds. They said to expect a call the next day and no news is good news. I go home relieved he didnt die in my arms, but sad for my poor Figgy.

Saturday morning they called while we were at the hunt. They left a message saying everything was going well and our current total was already at $1500.00. A few hours later, I got the bad phone call. The vet said he seemed to have a pretty bad blockage. Most cats will start urinating with the help of the cathedar, often with a bit of blood. Unfortunatley, Figarro's urine was almost entirely blood. She started rambling about blood transfusions and intubation and I could barely catch my breath. Of course, thrown in there was the monetary amount of $4,000+. She stopped and said we should just come in and talk more there.

Tom, myself and my Mom went to the clinic. We went to the ICU to see him and it was depressing. I couldnt hold in tears. My sweet, lovable kitty that was fine 2 days ago, is laying here, not moving, and bleeding from the inside. *Okay, I am getting chocked up just typing about it* I pet him and told him I loved him and Goodbye. It was so overwhelming.

The vet came in and again explained what may need to be done to save him. I told her I wanted her to be blunt with us and agree that he likely wouldnt live even if he had the transfusion. She totally agreed and said it was an all around crappy situation. Even if he responded well, this entire ordeal could happen in a month from now. We agreed that he should be put to sleep and sent to a better place.

We signed the papers to end his short life and sadly left the clinic. To keep our poor guy alive for less than 24 hours, it cost my parents $1,600.

I know I keep mentioning the cost of this. It is because I cant imagine how many pets had to be put down due to the cost of care. People simply cant afford thousands of dollars in pet medical bills when they have homes, children, other expenses. Again, its just an all around crappy situation.

So, now you know why I could have used a glass of wine on Saturday night. Hell, I could have used a bottle. I really hope no one human passes away while I am pregnant. I dont know if my hormonal butt can handle it. :/

21 comments:

Stephanie RN BSN (to be!) said...

I'm so sorry :`( it's always hard to lose a pet. Hang in there!

beth ewing said...

so sad and so scary. you know they have pet insurance like human health insurance. you pay a little bit each month and then if something happens, you don't have to pay. we don't have it but i have heard about it.

Joy said...

Oh that is so very sad and I'm sorry you had to go through this!!! It is amazing what we can live through (my mom died when I was pregnant with my first). Praying that you have a happy and healthy 30 more weeks of pregnancy!

cady said...

oh i'm so sorry! the first cat i had when i moved out on my own had to be put to sleep last year after developing a heart condition. he was 6 years old too, and had been perfectly healthy. so, i know how you feel. pets are like family!

Josh and April said...

That's so sad. Reminds me of Mako..he died three months ago and we are STILL paying on that vet bill. :(

♥Tabitha said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your cat...our animals are like our babies to us and it's so sad when they leave us! (((HUGS)))

Laura said...

So sad! We just had to put down our dog we've had for 12+ years. Such a sad ordeal when they are a huge part of our lives! Hang in there!

Kelly said...

Sad story! I am sorry.
Also, go over to my blog...I tagged you!

Mimi said...

I had to go through that with my boy boxer in September of 2007. It was devastating. Hang in there honey. It gets easier. I'm sorry for your loss.

Kami

Isaac Dakota said...

We had a similar thing happen to our male cat when he was only 4 years old. We ended up putting him down because it was so expensive and the vet said that it could work 100%, it could come back in a few weeks, months, or years, or not work at all. It was too much to do the procedure and not have some sort of a guarantee. We ended up going through one more night listening to him cry and it was horrible. It has been a few years since and even though I am sad when I think of those memories, the good ones always outweigh the bad ones at the end.

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry. I grew up with a cat who kept getting those blockages and my sister had a cat that kept getting them for years. Unfortunately, they are quite common.
We just had to put one of our dogs down 3 months ago and it was devastating. She got so sick that we just couldn't fix her anymore. Sometimes you just have to take comfort in knowing that you did everything you could and sometimes, it's just out of our control. I know kitty had a good life with you.

Jess said...

7 months ago I would have thought your family was insane but now as a "reformed dog animal lover" I want to cry with you! I am so sorry sweetie and you are right...most people could not afford to help their pets.

Hang in there...I can't even imagine what you are going through. We bought my first puppy 7 months ago and she is very much my baby! I was so against getting her but now I am reformed and love her to pieces...hugs to you!

Ashley said...

I'm sooo sorry honey!!

Stephanie said...

Losing a pet is one of the most difficult things so i totally know what you're going through! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...I'm in total agreement...very expensive!!! emergency vets are outrageous

Sarah said...

:( So sorry...
My 17 year old cat died 2 years ago... it was a very sad day. Sending you a big hug!!!

Foster Mama said...

I'm so sorry.

ajc4ever said...

Oh my goodness, that's so sad! I'm so sorry.

Allisyn said...

I found your blog a copy of weeks ago.. I think but not sure if I have left you a comment before, but I know the feeling of loving and losing a pet.. it is a hard thing to do, to say goodbye.. but you also know that you dont want them hurting or in pain.. But I am so sorry.

Mrs. Hammer said...

What a sad story. Pets are so much a part of our lives, they are furry little people. {{HUGS}}

twondra said...

Wow! I'm sooooo sorry. I know how pets are part of the family. I'm thinking and praying for you guys. :)

David said...

i just keep thinking that the vets are overcharging. it seems that no way that much work on a human would cost as much. My animals understand, they need to heal themselves as I can not go into debt for them.