Monday, February 16, 2009

All the Details

Saturday, we woke up shortly after 6 and left at 6:45. We arrived at the clinic at 7:30 am, right on time. We were only in the waiting room about 10 minutes and then were taken back to my personal room. I was told to get into my gown, wearing only socks. I had cute Valentines Day socks that were so comfy! While I did that, Tom gave his sample. While he was gone, a wave of sadness came over me. It was like reality hit-Wow, this is what I have to do to make a baby. I shook those thoughts quickly and was just plain nervous. My stomach felt queasy. I filled out some paperwork, talked with the nurse and just waited. Tom came back and we watched a Friends episode on our DVD player. That really helped with the nerves! Much to my surprise, MY doctor, came in to greet me. He gave the the rundown and thanked me for the brownies I brought to the office Thursday. Tom joked that he will do a better job since I made yummy brownies. I felt lucky he was the one doing the retrieval. The anesthesiologist introduced himself. We waited a bit more. Then it was time..

I got up to use the bathroom. I went back, kissed my hubby and was taken into the procedure room. I climbed onto the bed. The embryologist came in, asked my first and last name and birth date. The anesthesiologist put the IV in. He took my blood pressure and put the pulse reader on my finger. The nurse got a warm blanket for my legs. Then put them in the very high stir-ups. I remember blinking hard 2 times and then I was out.

The whole process took about 20 minutes. I woke up while being moved onto my bed. I told Tommy the first thing I wanted to hear was how many they got. Sure enough, I heard his sweet voice say, "Babe, they got 12 eggs." I started to cry. I was in pain and so happy and overwhelmed. He took off my glasses and wiped my eyes. I came to pretty quickly. The nurse asked if I had pain. I told her yes and she gave me some Tylonel. Tom was great the whole time, so comforting. The nurse asked if I wanted crackers or water. I said no thanks. She mentioned I would have to eat and drink and use the bathroom before I could leave. I ate 2 graham crackers and downed 2 glasses of water. A bit later, I got up to use the bathroom. She took out my IV, and told me I could get dressed. I couldn't wait to get home and sleep in my own bed!

I dozed a lot in the car. Once home, I slept for about 4 hours. I took Tylonel continuously throughout the day. I gave Tom a gift. I called is his 'I'm going to make you a daddy gift'. It had some books and a cute onesie. We went out to get Chipotle for dinner, when I was finally hungry. We lounged a bit more and I was feeling pretty good. We decided to go to Build-A-Bear and make our peanut its first stuffed animal. Guess what we made? AN ELEPHANT! How perfect! It was really fun and special for us. We went home and pretty much went to bed.

Tom and his gift

Yesterday was plain torture. I got up, showered and went to get a pedicure. The whole time, I kept checking my phone. I got home and still no call. I was more anxious than I have ever been in my whole life. I had this fear that they would call and say little to none fertilized. FINALLY, the nurse called at 3 pm and told me all 12 fertilized and were growing. I couldn't believe it. I was in shock for quite a while. We were actually loading up the car with my sisters kids. We took them by Toms moms house for a bit and then went downtown to the Auto Show. We met two couples there, one who brought their 2 yr old. The kids had tons of fun. I loved walking around with Tyler in the baby Bjorn. Of course, I couldn't stop thinking about my lil' embryos. I am in love already!

Silly kiddos at the Auto Show

Me and baby Tyler in a Jeep

Tom, Brady, Laney

Sexy hubby, sexy car

Braydon with the Lego car

Already multi-tasking like a Daddy!

It is amazing to know that a little bit of Tom and a little bit of me are joined together. Ahhh..I still don't believe it. I am more relaxed waiting for the call today. Of course, it can't come soon enough. They will tell me how many are growing and set a transfer day/time. We are shooting for a 5 day transfer, which would be Thursday.

February 15th-We have 12 babies! Isn't the elephant the cutest?

I continued my antibiotic, began baby asprin and began PIO injections. Wow, that stuff is thick! I am relieved the hard part is over. We did it!

I wanted to write this post for all of my blog friends that will be starting the IVF process in the next few months. There are a lot of you! I know I wanted to know every single detail when I began the process, so I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. And, thank you to those of you who shared their experience with me. Off the top of my head, Gretchen, Stacie, Noelle and Tiffany. <3 align="center">
UPDATED:
WE STILL HAVE TWELVE! WE STILL HAVE TWELVE! WE STILL HAVE TWELVE!
WE ARE SET FOR A 5-DAY TRANSFER ON THURSDAY!
PRAISE GOD!

35 comments:

Kalle said...

congrats on the growing 12. I can't wait to hear for the updates. I'm so happy for you both and to hear that things are finally moving forward for you.

Dan and Gretchen said...

YOU DID IT!!! It wasn't nearly as bad as what it can be made out to be, was it?!?!? I'm so excited to read in a couple of weeks that you got your positive...it's all so worth it.

We'll continue to be pray for you, and your 12 children... :) That's a nice big family :)

Mrs. Hammer said...

Awe that stuffed elephant sounds adorable and I know your peanut(s) will love it!

"Taken" was good - exactly what I expected; a ticked off special ops dad who kicks the crap out of the bad guys to get his little girl back. The only down side is that the daughter is supposed to be 17 but they made her act like a 12 y/o. That said it still did not distract from bad guy butt-kicking action.

Charity said...

Yay! This brought tears to my eyes. Especially when you mention a sadness that you have to go through this to make a baby. One thing that came to mind is that since it is a more concerted effort for you guys, you will really appreciate and savor every moment and not take it for granted.

Keep the good vibes going!

Sarie Lou Who said...

yeah! you will be pregnant before you know it! congrats on your dozen embie peanuts :)

The Patterson's said...

woo hoo!! All 12 fertilized! That is awesome! Can't wait to hear about your transfer!

Andrea said...

Yay! I was thinking/praying for you this weekend!

☆ Loren ☆ said...

YIPPY!!! Thank you for sharing! I am so excited for you!! Counting down the days now...

ASHLEY said...

WOW, I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND OUR HUBBY. HOPE EVERYTHING CONTINUES TO GO WELL!!!

Happily Ever After said...

God is good! I am so happy for you. You are so close. I can't wait to hear the news that you're pregnant. It will make my day and give me hope. Lots of IF blog love!!! :) :) :)

Its A Corny Life... said...

Oh wow! 12!!! This is the best news! I am so happy for you. And a 5 day transfer...even better. Sounds like all the ducks are in a row. Now comes the hard part...how many to tranfer and that awful 2 week wait...

I really am over-the-moon happy for you sweetie...

Christa @ Quintooples said...

Still have 12! That's great! :-) I can't wait to hear the good news!

twondra said...

Yay! Congrats on all 12 fertilizing and growing!

I know the feeling about being sad about having to do so much. I thought a lot about it last week when we were meeting our donor. It just doesn't seem fair some people don't have to do anything to have a baby and we have to do so much.

Kriss said...

Yay!! Best news I have heard all day long!! -kriss

Stacey said...

congrats! Keep us updated!

Kalle said...

Congrats again.

cady said...

twelve is awesome, and that's so great that you still have all of them! i'm starting my lupron tomorrow with a tentative retrieval for march 17. i'm super excited and nervous, and i'm enjoying reading all the details on your blog.

Kahla said...

Congrats!!! Good luck w/your transfer!!!!!

amanda said...

praise god is right my friend! how great. i am so blessed to be a 'part' of your journey. thanks.

Ashley said...

That brought tears to my eyes...especially when you said that you were already in love!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for you honey:) I can't believe they are all growing...UNBELIVEABLE. It's a valentine's day miracle. I can't wait to hear more details. When you get a chance could you email me that IVF stuff. Thanks honey!!!

Mary said...

YEAH!!!! That is great! Congratulations!

Dave and Elaine said...

Praying for your dozen!

Momma said...

LET'S GO PEANUTS!!!!
CONGRATS!!!!

Erin Crista said...

So excited for you and your hubby!!!

Traci said...

Hi! I have followed your blog for a while but never commented. I don't have a blog of my own but I just wanted to say congrats and i'm so happy for you! good luck and I will be thinking about you and your 12!!

Caralyn said...

I've been checking in for several weeks now...so excited to hear the good news. 12 is AWESOME! I went through 2 IVF cycles with ICSI and had 4 embryos each cycle to transfer. Cycle one resulted in my now 6 year old girl and Cycle two resulted in my almost 2 year old twin girls. God does work miracles....I will continue to pray!

Gill said...

Ok i cried reading this! I am sure not your intention! I am so deliriously happy for you guys and i am a whole other world away. I am crossing everything and praying it all works out for you all.xxx

beth ewing said...

that is amazing! praise God.

Moni328 said...

So happy for you Erin! Can't wait to hear more after the transfer! Your going to be a momma so soon, and you'll be a great one! I'm thinking and praying for you :)

Sarah said...

I am so happy for you two..I know it's been a long time waiting!! I look forward to hearing the updates.

LucieP said...

oh you are so cute!

12 sounds like such a great number!

I will keep praying for you and hoping for great news to continue!

Here's to 2009!

Kristi said...

WOW, twelve?! That's awesome!! I started my PIO shots last night and they were actually a piece of cake. I'm using the progesterone in ethyl oleate and it's a much thinner consistancy than in either peanut or sesame oil. I was able to use a 25 gauge, 1 inch need and I actually wound up giving myself the shot. I iced for about 20-30 minutes beforehand which helped loads, and then used the heating pad for about 10 minutes after, and today no bruises!!! Good luck on your transfer & keep us posted!!

Tiffany said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is such fantastic news. Hey, we had 12 fertilize too and 12 make it to day FIVE and look where we are now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 snowbabies and pregnant with my TWIN miracles. Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you. This is just FANTASTIC news!!!!!!!!!!! We went out of town for the weekend, and I couldn't get home to read how it went, so GREAT! Have you thought about how many you are going to transfer? The next couple days will be torture, but Thursday will come soon enough. Get things done now because I want you to eat pineapple and rest up come Thursday. We did one day of bedrest this time.

Mimi said...

I missed this post!!!!! Darn it all!!!! I am so happy for you honey!!!

Kami

Belle' said...

I work with several families who have twins and they're adorable! The IVF process is so personal, I've never asked questions. Your website is eye opening and I appreciate how raw and vulnerable you've allowed yourself to be. I have at times, hated, parenting - probably more the politics and the logistics! BUT I am passionate about my children and my family. I hope that all you've been through to make this possible has a positive outcome and that you have all the support in the world in welcoming your little ones and I do hope you have more than one! Thank you for sharing this journey!