Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year Brings IVF

Tom and I decided to keep it low key this New Years. Last year, we went by my sisters house and had a ridiculously good time. We figured it was the best option for this year, too. We went to dinner at Bennihana with Sam and Bretton and it was delicious! We went by my sisters house at about ten and there were way more people there than I expected. The whole night was tons of fun with good company, yummy drinks, and one adorable sleeping baby.

Out to dinner
Tyler partying it up on NYE

Me, Katie and our jello shots

Smooches at midnight

Me and Sissy

Sam, Katie, Erin

Singing to Rockband
New Years day happens to be my Moms birthday. This year, we all drove up to the cottage to check the progress of the construction. The house looks great and we are thinking it'll be done in late February. Then, we had a family meal at Popeye's in Lake Geneva. Tom and I went to bed super early to catch up after a long night.

The new cottage!

Jeralyn and Brady in the kitchen
Phew, I am finally caught up on the holidays. Now I can return my focus on our upcoming IVF cycle. Tom and I had our IVF consult this morning. We talked with the doc about our plan and signed consent forms. I am officially the youngest IVF patient they have experienced. That is one title I never imagined I'd carry.
Here is our plan:
~3 weeks of birth control, back on Jan 23rd for blood and ultrasound
~10 days of Lupron injections
~9-15 days of stimulation drugs. I will begin with 225 IU of Follistim for 4 days. After checking the progress, I will likely be lowered to 150 IU and add in 75 of Repronex.
~When everything is ready I will take an HCG injection.
~The retrieval will be done precisely 36 hours later. That night, I will begin the progesterone in oil injections.
~The day after, I will start taking an antibiotic and get the call about fertilization.
~The transfer will be performed 5 days later, if the embryos can make it that long. If not, it'll be 3 days later.
~The pregnancy test will be 12 days later. A positive pregnancy test, that is. :)

That is a whole lot of information! Typing it here really helps me absorb it and be aware of the timeline. I hope it helps some of you who are going to be doing IVF early this year.
The doctor said his biggest concern is OHSS. He said my body should have no problem responding the the stims; he thinks it may respond too well. Therefore, I will be monitored very closely. I am okay with that!
Looking at a calendar, the retrieval and transfer will be done around Valentines Day. Tommy's birthday is the Feb. 24th, so hopefully we will have great news by then. If the baby/ies were "conceived" on V-day, the due date would be Nov. 7 th.
I am looking forward to having no doctors appointments until the 23rd. However, I am only on day 3 of BCP and already feeling anxious to move on. It's going to be a long three weeks..

By the way, I am still terrified that we only have a 50% chance of getting pregnant. I am going to ignore those feelings and know that it will work. It has to, right?

14 comments:

Dave and Elaine said...

Yes, thank you very much for all the info about your protocol for IVF. It was interesting to see what happens and the meds you recieve from day 1. I bet three weeks does sound like an eternity! Praying for you especially in the next weeks. Keep us updated on your blog!

WantWait&Pray said...

Wow! That's so exciting that you're already started! Congrats! I found that once I started bcp's- everything went fast because you are finally DOING something that will yield the highest pregnancy chances! I'll be keeping an eye on your blog to see how things go! Congrats on starting and best wishes! We would be on the same schedule if we hadn't decided to delay IVF#2 a few months :-(

Tiffany said...

I too respond VERY well. I am currently only on 150 of Follistim/Gonal-F to start and then get bumped down to 75. Please please please drink lots of gatorade.

Kalle said...

I find that writing things here on the blog really helps me absorb it as well. November is a big birthday month in our family - hopefully it's the start of a good birt month for your family.

Take this doctors break as a welcomed break. It will you give you time to rest up for what you about to take on.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Ashley said...

That's EXCITING!!! I know what you mean about the waiting...I'm waiting for my period to start and it feels like it is taking forever. I am ready to get started. Good luck with everything. I'm praying that this will be your MIRACLE:)

Happily Ever After said...

Yes, it has to work! I know it will. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm proud of you and happy for you! You and your hubby are going to be the best parents. You are already showing so much dedication to your baby or babies. :) :) :)

Kriss said...

I am a new reader and thought I would stop in and say hi. I am excited you get to try IVF, as that was a procedure my husband and I decided to stop at and move onto to something else. Here's to a brand new year full of brand new hopes and dreams. I hope you get your +++ and will pray for you! -kriss

Evan Nicole said...

Woohoo for being only a day apart!!! I cant wait to compare and introduce our fall babies to each other!!!

Kahla said...

I know it works the first time, my proof is almost 4! Wishing you lots of luck and definitely cheering you along!

Mimi said...

Thank you so much for the well wishes. I too want to wish you good luck on your IVF. I look forward to seeing your positive pregnancy test!! Good luck!

Kami

Nikki said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Good luck with your cycle! I am sure time will fly by and you'll be on your way before you know it!

BTW - my mom's birthday is also on Jan 1!!

Stacey said...

Good luck with everything. We will be praying for you.

RDgirl said...

Ahhh! I'm so excited for you :) I really have a good feeling about this for you. That being said, many prayers will be going up for a successful cycle! I'll use you as my resource when I start ~March 09.

Although I'm curious about Tiffany's comment on the Gatorade, is that for post retrieval? I have heard that is rough for some people.

The Rileys said...

We wish you the best of luck in your IVF journey! We have been through it all and now have an 8 month old son! I was 28 when we went through IVF and I hyperstimulated, producing more than 100 eggs...painful!!! We had to cancel our cycle after retrieval due to the OHSS! Some of the other girls decided to proceed against the doctors wishes and ended up in a bad situation! My advice to all is to follow your doctors advice...it will happen! Our little one was just 1 month later!
Good Luck and we will be following!