Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fabulous Fifty

Another momentous occasion in your life is when you reach your 50th post! Kidding, of course..

I cant express enough thanks to everyone that responded to my IVF questions. I am now full of knowledge of the process and feel a little more at ease. I have been emailing like crazy, making phone calls, and cramming my brain over the past few days. I plan on shutting it all down this evening and focusing on the upcoming IUI this weekend. I did my first follistim shot last night and will do another this evening. I go in at 9:45 tomorrow to get checked. If my body responds like last month, I will have the IUI's done Sunday and Monday. Hopefully my body performs well under pressure. Cause, boy, the pressure is really on.

I called the financial coordinator to figure out a ballpark estimate of how much our IVF will cost. She threw a ton of numbers at me and the bottom line is that we will definitely owe money in the end. I have no problem paying a high amount to make this happen. I am simply terrified that we could go through everything..and it still isn't guaranteed to work. I have a new respect for women going through their second, third, fourth+ IVF. I think it is safe to say that this would be a one shot deal. I think we would have to take a long break from IVF before going at it again.

As always, I am getting ahead of myself. I haven't even had my final IUI and I am already planning a second IVF. See, I am such a planned person! I need to relax and trust that we will have a family soon enough.

I also called my nurse to get a potential list of drugs I would be using. Here is the list she gave:
Lupron 2 week kit
Follistim
Repronex or Menopur
HcG Trigger
Z-pack
Progesterone in Oil
Estrogen patches

That is a lot! The prescription insurance woman explained everything to me and I was surprised at the numbers she gave. I believe everything will end up costing less than $500. Insert sigh of relief here. I was expecting a much higher number.

I found out that to cryopreserve a specimen to serve as a back up for retrieval day costs $200, not $250. It seems like a good idea to have reinforcements ready if needed. Decision made.
The fee to freeze 1-2 embryos is $400 for three years. The fee for 3+ embryos is $700 for three years. If, heaven forbid, the first IVF didnt work, we could do a FET and skip the retrieval process. Decision made.

Ladies, are you impressed with my new knowledge? I am.

During the past two consecutive months, one of my fellow IF bloggers has become pregnant through IUI's. Both months, we had our IUI's performed one day apart. And both times, I knew when I turned on my computer that I would see Pregnant in their post. I am hoping this is where my number three comes in..

6 comments:

Dan and Gretchen said...

YAY, I'm so glad you feel like you have little more knowledge under your belt.
Thank your lucky stars that if you come out of all of this w/only $500 debt...I would gladly trade you our close to $20000...but I would have endured a lot more to get where we are.
One other amazing thing that happens in your head once it finally does work, you can look back on all of it, and not really care that you could have had a baby 2 years ago...you will just be so thrilled that you are finally living your "dream"!!!
I have found God to have quite a sense of humor as far as us "planners"...he seems to throw a wrench in all of mine, and I'm so much happier with His plan in the end.
Keep asking questions, and giving yourself the comfort to face this. When you get done with all of this and look back, you will be amazed how much you endured and how much more you would have done.
Hugs :)
Gretchen

Emily said...

Hopefully having more information will make you feel a little more at ease about IVF. And you're right about the extra retrieval...no brainer!

I'm still hoping you won't have to do any of it though. :)

Stacey said...

I glad you were able to get more information. The more you know, the more comforable and at ease you will be. And the less stress you have in your life the better.

beth ewing said...

ok i've never not done and IVF yet but i've heard of some places that do a deal where you pay a price and get 3 IVF's for that price. it's higher than doing one but not as expensive as doing 3 seperate. just a though.

Happily Ever After said...

Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you! I really hope we get pregnant this month! :)

Its A Corny Life... said...

Just came across your blog. I am a new Mom thanks to IVF. The 2nd time was a charm for me. Anyways, I wanted to tell you about an amazing message board that I have been on since the beginning of my journey. I have met some wonderful women and don't think I could have made it to where I am now without their support. If you're interested...it's www.ivf-infertility.com. Good luck! I cant wait to check back and hear some wonderful news. :-)

Stacie