Monday, November 24, 2008

Friend Details

My thoughts are somewhat clear enough to add some details/backround to the story.

My friend is 22 years old and going to college. The baby's dad is her previous long-time boyfriend. She met him in IL and he was originally from northern IN. They decided after a few months of dating to move to Indianapolis together. Everything was great until a little after their year anniversary. They broke up and the boyfriend moved in with his Uncle, while my friend stayed at the apartment until the lease was up. She then moved into a home with some girlfriends. They were on bad terms for a few months and then had started talking again around her birthday in September. Apparently they had been doing more than talking, and she is now 5 weeks pregnant. Oh yeah, and she is adopted.

First off, I am flattered that she would think of us first. I think that says a lot about us as people, a couple, future parents. Here are some of my concerns:
1. She is a tiny girl. Im talking 5 feet and 100 lbs. She could still have pregnancy complications.
2. When she tells her family, they could want her to keep it.
3. She could grow attached as time goes on and decide against it.

Like I said, Tom and I have never even discussed adoption. We really want our own children. Plus, we are young with little savings thanks to treatments, so we would never be approved or could afford it. But this is a totally differnt situation. I mean, if it came down to the baby going to a stranger or to us...why not us?

I had originally been gearing my 2ww stresses to thoughts about our trip. Now, they are being overpowered by this situation. I am still hoping this is the cycle that worked for us. I went for my progesterone check this morning and it was 23.9. Better than its ever been!

I am torn on whether I should test on Thursday. Any advice, ladies? Should I test and see a positive, I would be over the moon happy our entire vacation. If I saw a negative, it could really damper the mood. If I don't test, I could drink while being pregnant on vacation. Is Thursday too soon? And to anyone that got a recent BFP, what was your progesterone level the week before? I am trying to prepare myself for the results, either way...Please, any input would help!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

My friend got a faint line 10 days after ovulation. After every IUI I have waited till at least 14 days to test but if I were you I would test on Thursday. If you get a BFN then I would go on the trip and drink but not heavily:) Then when you get back I would test again. if it was positive on thursday, that would sure be a great Thanksgiving!!! I'll say a prayer for you:)

Dan and Gretchen said...

You sure have a lot to think about. Maybe you should just wait to take the test until you get back...try to just focus on enjoying yourself on your trip, and also just imagine what "could be" if it's positive. There's no point in ruining your vacation for what will still be here to worry about and be sad about when you return if it's negative (does that make sense).
And WOW...as for the adoption that's been proposed, just know that God will not give you confusion if you just pray and ask for His guidance!!! Hang in there dear.

RDgirl said...

Well, my IUI buddy, I would just test. It's better to know than wonder AND then you might be able to spend your time talking about this new adventure that dropped into your lap i.e. the possible adoption. As a side note, I tested this morning and was negative; I'm pretty postive Aunt flow is coming for thanksgiving. On to IUI #5...

Andrea said...

I would say not to test, if that means having a better vacation. I agree with your worries about your friend...Does the father even know yet?

Emily said...

I have been following your blog for about a month. I am praying like crazy!!

Brooke said...

This is my opinion so take it for what it is worth...

Wait until you get back from your vacay before taking a pregnancy test. Even if you take a test and it is negative you could still be pregnant and then you felt horrible on a nice vacay for nothing. Why don't you just not drink on your vacay? If you want to get pregnant and have a baby you are going to have to do without the alcohol so go ahead and get your body geared up for pregnancy. I am sure you would still have tons of fun without drinking :)

Tab said...

Ugh...I do not envy you and the choices that you and your husband need to make about your friend...but I am praying that God gives you both guidence in all that you do! ((HUGS))

Jessica said...

I came across your blog about one month ago and I have been an avid follower...I would say, TEST! It will be on your mind the entire time anyways, so just do it. I am hoping it is POSITIVE for you. Take care!